Corydoras paleatus (peppered cory) death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Hey guys this morning I found 1 peppered cory swimming in circles upside down and another just laying there. (eventually died) The other seemed to straighten up but not 100%

So I did my water test (liquid)
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrites
25 ppm Nitrates
pH 7.5

55 gal
sand substrate
Cascasde 1000
Heat 80

Now Tuesday I removed my Activated Carbon and replaced it with Purigen (The Bag), other than that there has been NO other changes. And I dosed Pottasium (sp)

How do 2 of the same breed just UP and die?

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Tank has been setup up for a year. These were the first 6 fish I added to the tank after the cycle. No other fish messing around near the bottom, and no new additions -- Well I added 2 Indo Flying Foxes the other day, very tiny and smaller than the ottos.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Did you quarantine the new fish for a few weeks prior to introducing them into your tank?

You said you added Purigen. If this was new container, did you follow the directions on the packaging?
If it was a regenerated bag, did you perhaps not get all the chlorine out?

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
No I did not Q. My supplier, (not box store) has healthy fish and guarentee ick or disease free. They actually Q them for a week before they sell them.

Rinse and insert into filter (in my case middle basket in my canister) Just installed it.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
A new Purigen Bag doesn't kill the fish. Peppered cories are tough guys and something must have happened.

Did you accidentally overdoes Potassium? If not, the new fish probably introduced a disease. One week QT done by your LFS is too short.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
1 capful per 40 gallons...

Then why wouldn't I see any effects from the other fish? Other fish have been fine, added these Monday.

Also I have been eyeballing then for atleast a month, so I know they were ok...They were housed in a planted tank.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Crazy thing....AGAIN....I get home from work and the lil bugger is swimming around ( laying there. (eventually died)) this one. He was on his side when I left to go to work and I was going to fish him out (no pun intended) when I got home.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Fish can be carriers of disease (or parasites) that they are not dramatically effected by. Some fish are more susceptible than others. 80F is a bit warm for paleatus (59-77F according to planetcatfish) & bacteria usually like warmer temps.

I'd go with daily or every other day water changes & just observe for now. Maybe something was up with your water, there's many more factors than we can easily test for.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Water changed scheduled for Sunday..

All my current stock has come from this place, and I don't have a holding tank...thinking about one when I setup my 75.
Current stock consist of
3 Marble Angels (2F / 1M)
7 RummyNose
6 Cardinals
3 Ottos
2 Indo Flying foxes
6 Peppered corys
4 Kuhlis
1 Dojo
1 Brislenose
1 Female red betta

And a whole bunch of plants....its a planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store