Angelfish Breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mullene

AC Members
Feb 20, 2011
Hey,
So I'm kind of interested in breeding Angelfish. I have yet to get them, as I don't have my Angel tank set up yet. (I'm just kinda lookin' for info/advice right now) If I do do this, can I just go and get 2 Angels from my LFS? Or do I need a group of them so they can pair off? (How can you tell which is male, which is female?) And, what does breeding them all entail? Can I have other species of fish in the tank with them?

Any other general advice you could give me?
Thank you! :)

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
You have to get a group and allow them to pair off. If you were to only buy two, it's very unlikely they would be male and female. Angelfish are also picky about their mate, so you need to have a group for them to select. You will need several tanks for growing out fry, and hatching brine shrimp is a must to keep the new fry alive. They're some work to get to dime size. The water needs changed frequently as well. It takes young angel pairs a few times to get the hang of spawning and not eat their eggs. You may be able to find a local hobbyist with a pair for sale also.

mullene

AC Members
Feb 20, 2011
Thank you! Wow! I didn't realize that it would be that much work! I think I might wait awhile to try and breed them! ;)

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Hatching brine shrimp is not a must for rasing frys as Ive raised many species w/o brine shrimps. Shoudld definitely have few tanks though.

I dont know if you have local fish clubs but try such places, if possible, for local breeders who can easily distinguish their genders w/o any difficulties even when tthey're very young.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Hatching brine shrimp is not a must for rasing frys as Ive raised many species w/o brine shrimps. Shoudld definitely have few tanks though.

I dont know if you have local fish clubs but try such places, if possible, for local breeders who can easily distinguish their genders w/o any difficulties even when tthey're very young.
I raise a lot of fry on other foods, but anyone I know who has raised angelfish fry has had to give the new fry bbs to get them moving and growing otherwise they quickly die. What foods did you give angelfish fry that were successful?

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I have a small hatchery (27 tanks) and I use live BBS exclusively for my angel fry - I don't know of another angel breeder that uses anything different. I may use some microworms for the first feeding or two but bbs are the rule. Other species can be raised on other foods - never heard of anything else for angels. The advice for multiple tanks is right on target - one pair of angels can produce hundreds of fry (my biggest spawn was over 900) and if happy they will lay every few weeks - if not sooner.

Hope that helps,

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
NO such thing as rule, especially rearing very common fish as an angels. Besides, no brine shrimps are found in their natural habitats. There are other more natural live f/w foods one can culture for f/w frys than Artemia if one is willing but not a must.
# of eggs depends on the genes/health of parent & their environment.
Raised angels/dwarf cichlids frys, etc, etc just on dusting of flakes on the bottom of container.
When big enough, fed daphnia, etc, etc. but again not a must.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store