Rainbow shark w/ cichlids ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Ive got an oscar, a african zebra cichlid, kenyi cichlid, electric yellow cichlid, jewel cichlid, jack dempsey, and green terror.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Depends on what kind of cichlid. Rainbow sharks aren't fond of the high pH most african cichlids are kept at, but they'd do fine at the lower pH that many SA/CA cichlids thrive in.

As far as getting along goes, my rainbow sharks have gotten along with every fish they've been housed with, including Firemouth & Jewel cichlids. Whether or not more agressive cichlids would take kindly to the shark however, would again depend on what kind of cichlids.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
its a 55 and ill move the south american to the 125 when they get bigger

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
In a 55, I'd recommend holding off on the rainbow shark for now. Once the SA's are in the 125, you might consider adding one to it.

Or, if you have space and suitable tankmates in the 125 now, stick a rainbow shark in it so he has a chance to get to a good size before his plus size roomates move in.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I guess I can throw in my experiences on this. I have a red tail shark(very similar to a rainbow shark), in with my mbuna. I know, I know, it's not suppose to work, but somehow it does. I've had the shark for a while now and he's almost 3". This guy doesn't take crap from anyone and actually chases my more submissive mbuna all over the tank. Pretty much all my mbuna are or are near adult size so their aggression shouldn't increase. Mostly my shark minds his own business and cruises around looking for food. He's an AWESOME fish and it seems to be working.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Umm rainbows and red tails can handle themselves quite nicely when it comes to aggressive tankmates. I have a very small red tail and my gold ram who has quite an attitude herself runs away from him. The only thing you have to worry about is other "shark" species. I have a bala shark who is 3 times the size of the red tail and the red tail terrorized the bala until I added a bunch of plants near the red tails cave and then he calmed down a bit. But they can definitely handle themselves. Just be sure to only keep one at a time, I tried 2 and it was quite a messy situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store