Shell Dweller Help Needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
These are some of the ones I am consider (at the bottom) and here are my preferences.

Smaller the better

Open to ones not on this list

Already have multis so those are out

Would prefer true sheller dwellers which the caudopunctatus are not, but they are pretty and small so I may make an exception.

They will be going in a 55 gallon tank with a nice thick layer of black sand.

This will be a species only breeding colony.

So I need suggestions, information, what you have if you keep them, pros/cons, and a supplier of the one picked. Preferably one of my fellow ACers that can ship priority mail and have experience shipping them. May consider trading some Multi babies if I don't sell them first. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus
Neolamprologus Leleupi
Neolamprologus brichardi
Julidochromis Regani
neolamprologus tretocephalus
neolamprologus helianthus
neolamprologus cylindricus

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Except for the caudopunctatus, the rest of those that you have listed are rock dwellers, not shell dwellers.

The leleupi should not be kept on black substrate or they will lose the beautiful orange coloration and get a muddy brown color. Mine are quite aggressive, and I would not hesitate to call them the most aggressive fish that I currently keep (aside from my jag). They love the holey rock I have, though they do choose to breed in shells over the rock.

Brichardi get wicked aggressive when breeding. They're quite pretty fish though. I never saw mine ever inclined to go in shells at all.

My julies love holey rock but want nothing to do with shells.

I haven't kept the other species.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Okay those fish are out except for the
Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus - may still consider
Neolamprologus ocellatus - is totally my top pick at this point since I read the caudos don't tend to use the shells and prefer pots.
List as stands is the above. Would prefer less aggressive fish if possible closer to the multis. Anyone have any knowledge of the ocellas?

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I just read that ocellas dominates tend to kill off others anyone know of something closer to the multis in temperment? At this rate I am going to expand my current multi setup...

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
similis kills off other males from what I have read to, but I am liking the sound of the Sumbu if I can get some. I read the brevis are one of the more peaceful ones so sumbu is my top now and brevis next though they are more similar looking to the multis in my opinion so sumbu is definately my first choice. Anyone selling, have some and can share information, or know when to get some sumbus?

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I really am appreciating all of the input please keep on posting.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
I didn't see any sumbus in his list, but maybe I missed it. What is the sumbus full scientific name or at lease what does the sp stand for?

Altolamprologus sp "Sumbu" is what I have so far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store