Blue's 40 Breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I haven't posted around here in a while so I believe it is time for an update!

The 29 gallon I had with my tanks was slowly turned into a grow out/ community tank. It got a bit over crowded so I upgraded to a 40 breeder. It's still quite a mix but I've changed my mind yet again and I will be slowly moving it to a Tang community tank.

I picked up a used 40 breeder and let me say that tank was FILTHY! I cleaned it up patched a hole in the side(bulkhead) and set it up. The 29 residents were moved and a new canister filter was set up to help with flow and keeping the tank clean. It was a rocky move. My rainbow cichlids and eel FREAKED out in the holding tank. I only had it half full and I was still worried about them jumping out.

My wonderful eel has been less than pleased with the move :( In the 29 he greeted me every morning but in the 40 he has become much more reclusive. It's only been a week and a half so hopefully he will get use to it. I saw him one morning but usually I catch him out at night.

I have a pair of rainbow cichlids in the tank. I'm waiting for them to spawn then I will sell them to someone in the club. They are the biggest fish in the tank but are super skittish, especially since the move.

My calvus had trouble adapting to the move but seem to be better now. I got them January '10 and they were 1" long. Now they are 2" long and I *think* I have 2 males and 1 female. The "males are the same size and are just over 2" while the "female" is just under 2". The males have been bickering a lot more lately we shall see how that pans out. With a 40 breeder I won't have to rehome my calvus when they get bigger!! Horray!

Next in the odd stocking are my grow outs. These are for other tanks and for now are 1" or less. I have some F1Hemichromis sp. 'Moanda' . These guys are awesome and not nearly as aggressive as other jewel species.
My next grow out are some very tiny sciaenochromis fryeri. I know I know, What am I going to do with them when they are larger? No plan yet but for now they are awesome and I love growing fish out!
On to the plecos. I have 2 species of plecos I'm growing out in hopes of getting a pair. I have a group of shortfin calico bristle nose and a group of L201 (Love love LOVE this pleco).

I also have a group of endlers that I'm going to be rehoming. Livebearers are just so boring to me.

Finally I have today's purchase. I should be ashamed of this tank but I could not resist. I picked up 5 juvenile Lamprologus ocellatus "gold". These guys are just stunning in person! Amazing fish. Though right now they are not using the nice escargot shells I got them :swear:

So the eventual Tang community plan fr this tank is:

Gold occies
White calvus(pair, hopefully)
M. elipsifer
Some sort of neat small rainbow fish
My awesome plecos(2 pairs, again hopefully)

I want to see how this goes because I know have my eye on the 80 gallon. I've been playing with the idea of turning it into a Tang community mainly because 1) it's in the living room so I could watch it easier and 2) I would have way more options with stocking. I'm not giving up the mbuna yet. Just brainstorming :evil_lol:

SO this is my huge post without pictures LOL All the fishes are sleeping now so here are some old pictures of the filthy tank and my super awesome plecos! Picture update tomorrow!
dirtytank.jpg
supeawesomeplecos.jpg
L201pleco1.jpg

EDIT: Ok here are some older pictures of the residents :)
CIMG3700.jpg
calvus1.jpg

dirtytank.jpg supeawesomeplecos.jpg L201pleco1.jpg CIMG3700.jpg calvus1.jpg

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Sweet fish! Ill be looking for the new FTS tomorrow (;

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Blue, where did you find the Lamprologus ocellatus "gold"??? I've been trying to find them and am having a very hard time!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Blue, where did you find the Lamprologus ocellatus "gold"??? I've been trying to find them and am having a very hard time!
There's a guy in Evansville who sells them. He has TONS of Tangs. It's where I got the C. brichardi that I gave you from. If you go on the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyist forum you'll see his most recent post. His user name is hazard.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Thanks Blue! I will try again to get on the forum. I tried before but was never able to sign in :(

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I think your account needs to be activated or something. If it doesn't work let me know your user name and I'll talk with one of the moderators.

In case you can't get on here's hazard's list:
I have in the tanks
13 G. frontosa moba almost 1" $20 each
synodontis dwarf petricola .75"-1.25" $5 each
Lepido. lamerii .5"-1" $5 each
6 1.5"-2" juli ornatus $6 each
6 1.5"-2" juli transcripis bemba $6 each
8 2.5" wild alto lamp calvus zambian $30 each
2 2.5" wild alto lamp orange compressiceps $30 each
15 1.5"-2" paracyprichomis nigripinnis $7 each
5 1.5" cyp luvia $7 each
20 Cyphotilapia frontosa-Kavalla Congo 1.25"+ $8 each
10 Enantiopus melanogenys Zambian 1.25" $8 each
10 Eretmodus cyanostictus Zambian Blue Point 1.25" $8 each
20 Lamprologus calvus Inkfin 1"+ $6 each
20 Lamprologus calvus white Chaitika 1.25" $6 each
10 Lamprologus calvus yellow 1"+ $6 each
20 Lamprologus caudopunctatus redfin 1.25" $6 each
20 Lamprologus compressiceps red Lufubu 1.25" $6 each
35 Lamprologus ocellatus Gold 1.25" $6 each
20 Lamprologus ornatipinnis Kigoma 1.25" $6 each
8 Lamprologus speciosus 1"+ $6 each
15 Xenotilapia bathyphilus Blue Mtoto 1.25" $7 each
20 Lamprologus multifaciatus .75" $4 each

Local pickup or delivery to the northeast of Madison or gcca swap meet on Mar 6th.
Pretty cool huh? :)

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Awesome! So these swap meets, are they in Evensville also?

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
The GCCA swap is in Chicago but the MAAH meetings are the third Saturday of every month in Madison. It's an auction instead of a swap. We have a fish speaker come in and give a talk then we have a small auction of fish, plants and equipment.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
So here's the update I was promising. My fish are so skittish in this tank! Especially my rainbow cichlids and calvus. It's sad having such beautiful fish that flee at the sight of you. :(

Anyway after watching the tank for a while, I think I might have the beginnings of a calvus pair. The bigger calvus have been bickering for a day. Now one is hiding in a cave while the other is constantly with the smaller female. Pretty cool. :dance:

Full Tank Shot

40breeder.jpg

So here are some of the occies. I love these guys. They aren't nearly as shy as my multis were.

goldoccie.jpg
Goldoccie2.jpg

Next are some terrible shots of my calvus

hidingcalvus.jpg

I wanted to show this one to show a DIY cave I made. The fish really like it. I will be making more soon and posting in the DIY section.

calvuscave.jpg

At least the plecos don't hide from me.

BNpleco2.jpg
BNpleco.jpg

On of the very tiny electric blues :) Even at this size these guys are MEAN to each other!

electricblue.jpg

Now some video

My calvus

[YT]Bt3gKR7hOj8[/YT]

[YT]kd3F2SxyhI[/YT]

Plecos

[YT]4nnZB9u8fxE[/YT]

Full tank

[YT]p6VT8KE74Ag[/YT]

BNpleco.jpg electricblue.jpg calvuscave.jpg hidingcalvus.jpg BNpleco2.jpg goldoccie.jpg 40breeder.jpg Goldoccie2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store