55G: Dwarf Cichlid Stocking Suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NismoStyle

AC Members
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, I have a heavily planted 55 gallon and I am looking to start a dwarf cichlid tank. The tanks current residents are 11 neon tetras, 7 white cloud minnows, 1 powdered blue dwarf gourami, 5 peppered cories and 4 bolivian rams.

I would really like to add 3 kribs and either 3 A. macmasteri or 3 A. cacatuoides.

I know that would probably be a pretty heavy stocking of the tank but I'm just concerned that the dwarf cichlids might need a little more 'floor' space.

What do you think? If anything, I'd be willing to give the cories away, to a family member, if it would help with the cichlid stocking. My cories rarely come out, unless its dinner time. So they wouldn't be missed too much.

Thanks!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
I don't think you should add anymore, i think they would fight over territory with the bolivians. You may even have problems with the bolivians down the road. I would just forget anymore dwarf cichlids unless you remove the bolivians.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I really don't think having 3 groups of dwarfs will work in a 55. Because you already have the Rams, I would get a 1 pair of the others mentioned, and leave it.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
I agree with the above posts. Plus 3 kribs would eventually cause problems for the "odd" krib down the road IME and they can also be very protective of any fry if you had a pair. My roommate has a 75 and when her kribs bred, they kept EVERYTHING on one end of the tank except for the L-001 plec. I've seen where certain species could handle 3 pair in a 55, but that is few and far between and none of the species you listed are included.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store