Plants among the rocks - need some design ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
So we are going to be ordering the river rock and garden boulders on Saturday (3/5) for delivery 3/11 for our pond - but I am trying to figure out how to get plants among the rocks surrounding the pond. I'm thinking of buying some of the clay pots (medium sized probably) and putting those down first, then stacking the rocks around them to sort of hide them. I want to plant things like creeping phlox and such to help soften the rock barrier around the pond. Any thoughts?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
i'm not much at gardening, but seems if you have them in pots, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having them spread through the rocks? Theie roots will just stay in the pot, instead of spreading out nicely. Just make your rock barrier, then add little pockets of soil, and plant. Not sure where you live, but creeping phlox, does well in rocks, as many other types do as well. Plants living in rocks, really grab deep down with their roots, so I wouldn't bother with pots. You can't quite hide a pot in a rock anyways.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
My main problem is that there will be no soil below the rocks for the plants to move around in. The rocks will all be on top of the liner. And I don't want rain to wash soil into the pond (thus putting it in a pot, rather than just tossing it among the rocks). I realize the creeping phlox won't go far, but it will still look pretty where it's at. My issue right now is how best to put them among the rocks and keep them concealed. And I know I can't hide a pot in a rock, but I'm stacking flat river rocks for the border, so I'm hoping to hide them under those. and perhaps some pea gravel. I've been hunting for pictures of other finished ponds, but just am not finding what I'm trying to accomplish.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I'm looking into pond building also, and just read something you might find interesting. This guy is using spagnum moss to plant plants in among the rocks, instead of soil, which provides the nurishment, they need to grow, and won't wash away like soil does.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
hi
I try to keep plants away from the edge of my inground as they sure become a maintenance problem especially grass.
I live in s. florida so don't have snow and ice to contend with but in reverse it means the plants mostly become invasive lol
I don't use rocks around the pond for that reason. the growth rate of the water plants is enough to contend with lol gary

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
how are you planning on watering them? Drip irrigation system connected to the pond pump (small valve on a timer like a 1-sprinkler lawn system?) to give them a tiny taste of pond nutrients?

sphagnum moss will provide structure for the roots for as fairly long time but no nutrients (unless you get moss that has been fertilized, and that might last a season).

if you sealed the bottoms of the pots, filled them with moss and pea gravel, and ran a slow drip irrigation line down to the bottom of each one, each pot would be a mini-bog and you could put a wide variety of bog plants in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store