HELP PLEASE 911 CICHLID RESCUE!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Ok so I was in Wal-mart tonight and I was checking out their fish as I usually do (no I do not advocate buying fish there and when you read on you will know why) and I noticed 2 fish going at it all by themselves in one of the tanks. I took a closer look and realized that one of them was a mother guarding her fry (which were piled in the corner) from the other larger fish, she was pretty beat up and my heart sunk when I saw how she was desperately defending them. So I went and got a manager and asked him if I could take the fry, I explained to him that if he left them in there, they probably didn't stand a chance, when he looked at me with a blank expression I told him to give me the net and I started fishing all of them out, and took the mother too. The fry (the ones that survived, I was scooping them as fast as I could and there were dead ones in the tank as well) are in a breeder net in my 10 gallon, I was going to put the mother in the net too but she seemed to be eating them while they were in the bag, I know some cichlids protect their young by carrying them in their mouths but I didn't want to take the chance, so she is also in my 10 gallon but not with the fry. She is pretty beat up but seems to be adjusting well. My big question is....I'm not sure what type of fish she is, the fact tag said parrot cichlid, but she does not look like any parrot I've ever seen.....can someone ID her for me and maybe give me some info on how to care for her and the fry, if she is indeed a parrot I'm going to nurse her back to health and give her to my lfs (who take AWESOME care of their fish unlike the place she came from) because my biggest tank right now is a 30 gallon and I know the parrots can get big and aggressive, I just had to get her out of that situation or she would have died defending her babies :help:

100_0046.JPG 100_0044.JPG

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
As soon as she's healed she's going to the lfs to find a good home, why would they have it labeled a parrot, and it doesn't look like a convict, it kinda looks like a color-less ram, but too small to be a parrot? I'm confused, and will the fry be ok in the breeder net for a while?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
pink_convict_cichlid.jpg

That's a pink convict. Looks like your fish to me. They probably didn't know any better, that's why she was labeled as a blood parrot. From those photos you posted, she looks nothing like a blood parrot.

pink_convict_cichlid.jpg

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
No she def. doesn't look like a parrot, way too small, she does look like the pic you posted, but rounder, like a balloon ram, she seems peaceful, not really bothering anyone else. She was curious about my scissortails and nipped at their fins at first, I'm wondering if I should put her in the breeder net with the fry.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
She may be too overwhelmed and recovering to cause much trouble but I'd definitely keep an eye on her. I'd probably put her in the net or separate her from the community fish somehow until you know just how aggressive she is.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
its a pink con, i've never heard of walmart carrying a ram, let alone a balloon ram, and I don't even know if there's a strain of albino rams out there.

You have to be really careful with walmart fish, they are very often disease infested and need to be quarantined before adding to a community tank.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
I know it's not a ram I was just trying to describe what it looks like. And I usually don't buy fish from Walmart I just felt the need to rescue this one. I don't haves quarantine tank that's why she is in my 10 gallon where I only have a few fish. She seems healthy other than a few fins being torn up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store