Coral bleaching?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Ok, I'm pretty stumped here.

Basically, my Red/green favites have started bleaching out and I have NO idea why. My paramaters are good, it did fine for about a month and seemed to be getting brighter in color... Now in the last couple days it has just gone way downhill and I'm worries that I'm going to lose it should I try shading it? It's out in the open about halfway up and has all the light it could ever want.... So I have no idea what to think here.

All my other coral is doing extremely well, and nothing has changed since adding it. Feeding is the same, light cycle, etc. It was doing wonderfully up until just the other day and now it's rapidly declining. Fish are all healthy, all my shrimp are active and always all over the aquarium... I'm seriously just stumped as to why this one would suddenly take a turn for the worse :(

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I would like to know what your good parameters are. Let's see sg, kh, ca, and if ya got it mg and PO4. Secondly, what are your lights? If they are t5 or MH they may be too much. I have certain favia that have to be in the sandbed under shade because my t5 unit is too much.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Check its neighboring corals (maybe pretty new additions) for possible chemical welfares (slime from softies), even sweepers. Has any coral fell on it or bothered by fish lately?
I even seen coral recede due to touch/improperly grabbed/handled.

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
I'll take some new params tonight, it's been steady at or just barely around 1.023 sg, 0 amm, 0 trite, 5 trate (with receding algae levels each week), 0 phos, and I need to just get recent readings on mg calc and dkh. I'm due for tests on all 3 anyways

No slime from anything. There are some zoas nearby, but they've been by each other for awhile without incident - all other corals with sweepers get blown AWAY from other corals by the flow in the tank. (galaxea, frogspawn)

Also, the coral is bleaching more on the top than the bottom. I have 192W pc and 2 supplemental T5's over my tank, ran with only the actinics and one 6500K t5 on today and it's looking better already. Gonna try to find a better place for the little guys so I can get all the lights back on (for my clam, chowder) he's recovering from a fall after a fish (I suspect my tribal) knocked him over :(

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Favia are on the lower end as far as lighting goes and they also like fairly low flow. They can be tricky but once they are happy they are fairly easy.

FWIW, I wouldn't trust galaxea even if it was on the opposite end of a 6ft tank :)!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Fall perhaps caused physical damage. Hope it didnt fall on top of another corals including mush??? Salt crust falling (during maintenance) on top also can cause physical damges which can be followed by infections.

Any pinkish/brownish mulm buiding up on affected areas?
Take it out and smell it. If you are about to pass out:), you should tempt treatment in isolation.

May need to clean/sterilize (Jet spray from hypodermic Syringe works well) infected areas to minimize further receding.

Pics and vid will def assist.

Hoping for the good news!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store