Where to start, so much info, brain may explode....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SwimswithPlatys

AC Members
Feb 26, 2011
San Diego, California
Real Name
Erin
I am now more than excited to start research on a plated aquarium. Best part is I have 3 tanks to start with a 12gallon Acrylic a 37 gallon glass and a 29 tall glass.

Each Tank has its own special purpose and I would like to plant them accordingly my only problem is there is so much info out there I don't know where to start reading!

Can someone please point me toward a good book.... website so on? I am not working currently and I am getting depressed not having a project to keep me busy. Thanks a ton.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The stickys here and at monsterfish are a great start. There are plenty of other sites too, some strongly geared towards planted tanks (like Theplanttank.com). My single piece of advice is start low tech low light, it is easy and enjoyable. Have fun!

SwimswithPlatys

AC Members
Feb 26, 2011
San Diego, California
Real Name
Erin
The stickys here and at monsterfish are a great start. There are plenty of other sites too, some strongly geared towards planted tanks (like Theplanttank.com). My single piece of advice is start low tech low light, it is easy and enjoyable. Have fun!
Thank you thank you heading there now. My hubby was groaning at the idea of plants LOL he just loves to help me with electrical (he was an electrician for 11 years and now works as a PE for an Electical company.)

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Plants can be very easy with a low tech approach. You may get the sense from reading posts here that you MUST get 3 watts per gallon of light, CO2 and massive fertilizers. Not true. You can do it with low light plants and some very easy fertilization. Google "low tech planted tank" and see what comes up.

As someone else said - have fun, and don't make it work. When I got back into aquariums I have done nothing but planted tanks and they are SO much more interesting and beautiful.

cmfeher

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
Chadds Ford PA
Yes, low lights and low tech is the way to go. Experiment like you would in a garden. Too much light will get you algae problems.

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
I was reading a bunch of threads on here last night. Someone posted about issues they were having with plants and there were at least 3 responses back saying "you need CO2". Really - read Diana Walsted. Even Tom Barr has a section on his website about low tech approaches.

Remember - there are many ways to get to the end result. Read, learn, experiment, have fun. I'm an engineer by degree, so I had a lot of fun with the high tech stuff for a while because it was like having a new toy. I've gone completely the other way, which is a very slow chemistry experiment.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
www.barrreport.com
www.tropica.com (be sure to use the site map for stuff that's not so easy to find)
www.theplantedtank.co.uk
www.plantgeek.net
www.ukaps.org
www.socalaquascapers.com (this is so-cali specific... and if you can... you should definitely join!!!!! ;)) they go by S.C.A.P.E. (southern california aquatic plant enthusiasts) or something like that, lol...
www.aquascapingworld.com
www.plantedtank.net
www.aquaticplantcenral.com

book... ecology of the planted aquarium by; diane walstad

enjoy :D

SwimswithPlatys

AC Members
Feb 26, 2011
San Diego, California
Real Name
Erin
I was reading a bunch of threads on here last night. Someone posted about issues they were having with plants and there were at least 3 responses back saying "you need CO2". Really - read Diana Walsted. Even Tom Barr has a section on his website about low tech approaches.

Remember - there are many ways to get to the end result. Read, learn, experiment, have fun. I'm an engineer by degree, so I had a lot of fun with the high tech stuff for a while because it was like having a new toy. I've gone completely the other way, which is a very slow chemistry experiment.
I love a challenge, I am a passionate person, but i hate hate hate doing something wrong. Perhaps that is why school was a huge challenge to me. But when I am doing something I am passionate about... Research-Shemsearch! No problem, I'll read and study all day! Boy did that **** my parents off "Erin, How can you name ever bone and ligament in your horses legs but you cant figure out your algebra homework?". I am so ecited I am really enjoying all this reading material thank you so much MTD!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store