Gourami Aggression?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almica

Poor College Student
Apr 18, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Alma
I have a male neon blue dwarf gourami in a 55 gallon tank with
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Guppies
3 Corydora Catfish
6 Neon Tetras
1 Betta Splendens
1 Angelfish

Mickey is pretty much the biggest fish in the tank, and makes sure that everyone knows it. At feeding time, everyone makes room for him. I have a betta that doesn't bother anyone, but my gourami is thrashing everyone. I have lots of plants, both floating and rooted, plus driftwood for everyone to hide in so I guess I assumed that it wasn't much of a problem, until I found my angelfish's fins torn up.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I put the angel in one of those breeding boxes so that he can sit alone for a while to rest and recover and the **** gourami just keeps on ramming the sides of it and displaying. I'm thinking about returning the gourami.

sheheartsfish

AC Members
Feb 22, 2011
Wonderland
My Dwarf Gourami's were very nice. Even to my Angels. I think you should return the Gourami. You could try getting a different one if you still want a Dwarf Gourami, but watch it closely the first few days to make sure it isn't an aggressive one.

Almica

Poor College Student
Apr 18, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Alma
My angelfish just died :( I guess the stress proved to be too much for him. Definitely returning the gourami.

koldsoup

AC Members
Jan 12, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Real Name
Kevin
I'm surprised your betta and gourami didn't go at it. I guess it was their personalities, but I would've expected the two to not get along seeing how they come from the same family.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Most male gouramis seem to have a mean streak.

Sorry for the lost. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store