My 125 gallon build a.k.a. in the deep end...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
It's official, I jumped in the deep end of the pool. My kids (ages 7 & 9) and I have just been getting a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium through its initial cycle and having lots of fun together. We've been making weekly trips to our local fish store and it's been great to see the enthusiasm and interest they've taken in the hobby.

I guess it's contagious, and it got me excited and wanting my own tank. I thought something bigger than 29 gallons would be nice. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I wandered in to the local fish store during their annual superbowl sale weekend and found a 125 gallon tank for a super sale price, cheaper than the regular price for the smaller tanks I'd been looking at.

Well, after some fast talking and economic rationalization with the wife, I had a 125 glass cage in my basement. I'm taking it slow and reading all I can before I make final decisions on anything yet. Ultimately, I'd love a beautiful planted tank like I've seen on this forum.

Right now the basement's a mess as I start to work on the aquarium stand. While I've looked at hundreds of stand build threads, I must give credit to Waywardson, I read all 150+ pages and took design cues inspiration from his fine work. That's a goal to shoot for...

With that said, here it goes...wish me luck

Cutting the lumber for the 2 x 4 subframe
IMG_0414.jpg

Assembling front - 2 x 6 header, plan for 3 doors
IMG_0415.jpg

Finished subframe
IMG_0420.jpg

Tank test drive
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg IMG_0415.jpg IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0422.jpg

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Congrats on the new tank! are you gonna sheet the stand with some ply?

Too bad you cant go planted. either way your gonna have fun with this new setup I bet.

What do you plan to stock it with?

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Stand looks good and sturdy. And this hobby is definitely addicting. There are quite a few cost saving corners you can cut when it comes to substrates and filtration systems, even lighting... although if you're going planted I don't think anything will beat metal halides. If you go low- light, 2 watts or so you could avoid the cost of MH and CO2 injection ( 2 big ones costwise ).
Any plans for filtration yet? Canopy?

snapinturtle

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Richard Hartman
Looking real good. The stand looks plenty sturdy enough. Good luck, pick your fish carefully, enjoy.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the interest. First, my plan is planted with CO2, thinking filtration with multiple canister filters, maybe 3 Eheim 2217's? My initial idea for lights would be 60" T5's, either 4 or 5 tubes. And I'm planning building a hood as well.

I did put some plywood on the floor, sides and back to help stabilize the structure and create an inside "box". I'm in the process of wrapping the outside in oak right now...

Here's a shot of the plywood
IMG_0423.jpg

I cut out some holes in the back to pass hoses and power in and out
IMG_0426.jpg

I even caulked the seams and pre-finished the inside in black, maybe easier now that when its wrapped in oak. We'll see...
IMG_0427.jpg

As for stock list, that seems a long way away, water even seems a long way away right now! But its going to start small, I love large numbers of schooling fish. I just want to get the aquascape established. Some day maybe some Discus in there...

More to follow. Regards

IMG_0423.jpg IMG_0426.jpg IMG_0427.jpg

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Wow! Looks like you're off to a great start!!!

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Lookin good!! Cant wait for more pics!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name