"Dwarf" hairgrass 10" tall?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Well, I've been growing dwarf hairgrass for a while now, and I'm wondering if it's because it's never been trimmed that it can tickle the waterline of a 10g, or if it's not actually dwarf hairgrass. It's extremely fine, and matches every other aspect I've been able to find, except instead of growing in wide clumps, it usually is a single rooted plant with runners around it. Thanks,

-Bryce

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
If it's 10" tall, chances are it's Eleocharis Vivipara and not Eleocharis Acicularis.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Under medium-shaded lighting (w/floaters), my dwarf hairgrass has grown about 4-5"... under moderate-direct light it stays around 1-1.5". This is in a 2.5g.

Or it could be giant hair grass. :D

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
If it's 10" tall, chances are it's Eleocharis Vivipara and not Eleocharis Acicularis.
Hmm, I googled it and it seems pretty much idental to what I have; I don't know if it's the lighting, or the **** fuzz algae that infests every plant I own, or if it's a different species, but mine is a darker green. But the roots aren't purple, which is what google was showing. The roots are a light brown to white colour, hair-thin, and not well defined. When you pull two plants apart, it sounds like you're ripping out hair.

-Bryce

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
ohhhhh hows this stuff do in really hard water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store