Peppered cory vs Panda cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peppered Cory vs Panda Cory?

• Total voters

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Hello guys,
I was wondering what kind of cories do you prefer: peppered or panda? What were your experiences with either kind? and what are some of the major differences between the two?

Thank you

Wiggs

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I've found that the panda tend to school more tightly and more often than the peppereds; who, in my experience, can become free-roamers once they are comfortable in the tanks. I mention this as this may be a deciding factor for you either way.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
And peppers can be very shy. I hardly ever see mine in my planted 60G.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Pandas max out around 2" when full grown, whereas Peppered aka Paleatus can reach almost 3". Definitely something to take into consideration. Peppereds can also tolerate lower temps (60's) versus Pandas who's tank temp should not drop below 71-72.

I'm partial to dwarf cories, myself... but Pandas are my favorite of the standard-size.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
while the pandas are pretty i have never had any, but i can attest to the durability of the peppered cory

i have one now that has lived in my tanks for a year or two
she is blind in one eye and missing the other (i just knew i shouldnt have left her in the tank with my rainbow shark) however she is currently still the fattest fish in my tanks and doesnt show any signs of giving up on life!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I <3 CORYS!!! Go with the pandas, they're adorable. Emerald greens are way underrated and my 2nd favorite. They're so funny to watch when they hit like 2".

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
little off topic but I have a peppered that survived a 5 day power outtage that resulted in my house and tank dropping to 38F. everyone else died and were literally fish cubes, but she lived!! seemed impossible. no joke. and on top of that, she lived at LEAST 5 years. I don't know if she's still alive or not because several others grew to be giant mamas too, but I think she's still in there at the ripe age of 7.

can't get a hardier fish IMO.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Pandas max out around 2" when full grown, whereas Peppered aka Paleatus can reach almost 3". Definitely something to take into consideration. Peppereds can also tolerate lower temps (60's) versus Pandas who's tank temp should not drop below 71-72.

I'm partial to dwarf cories, myself... but Pandas are my favorite of the standard-size.
Not trying to start an argument, but my experience with Pandas, and what I read on websites like www.scotcat.com and www.planetcatfish.com,
is to the effect that Pandas prefer cooler temperatures than most other corydoras. Definitely don't want the tank over 78, and better around 75. I've never kept Pandas below 71, so perhaps you are right on that score. I've never had Peppereds, so I can't comment on their ability to tolerate low temperatures.

I've got about 25-30 pandas, after starting with six and having them reproduce pretty prolifically. I think they're great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store