Im almost ready for fish question!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mregan24

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
Berrien Springs, MI
Hey gang,
Just wondering how many african cichlids I can stock in my 36 gallon. Its almost done its fishless cycle so I'm hoping to get some over the weekend. I was thinking around 10 or so??? Im looking at yellow Labs and some other compatable cichlids.
Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Don't add 10 at once lol. 2-3 at a time. Don't know much about cichlids besides rams and Angelfish.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
If you have fishless cycled properly, it is ok to add your entire stock at once. That is the beauty of it versus fish-in cycling, where you can only add a few at a time. I added 38 fish at once after fishless cycling a 125g with no ill effects. That being said, I believe a 36 gallon tank is too small for the cichlids you have mentioned. Yellow labs can get to 4"+ and generally the smallest mbuna available are
about 2-1/2 to 3". If it is a 36" long tank, you may be able to get away with one of the smaller species(except demasoni), but it can just as easily be unsuccessful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store