A WORD OF WARNING TO ALL NEON, SMALL TETRA AND GOURAMI COLLECTORS!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

drrobertprice

Dr. Robert Price
Aug 31, 2010
New York City
Real Name
Robert Mark Price
Neon tetra disease and Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus are new plagues that are wiping out lots of tanks of small tropical fish. Since I answer questions on Yahoo on disease, I am confronted with a case of one or the other about every second day. Both are 100% fatal and incurable. Iridovirus was first thought only to infect Dwarf Gouramis but now has been found in other Gouraqmis. An estimated 25% of Southeast Asian imports are infected. The initial symptoms are loss or color and appetite. these are fairly rapidly followed by sores and ulcers, abdominal swelling and death. Neon Disease is communicable to ther fish, although it was first recognized in Neons and other small Tetras. It is caused by the sporozoan Pleistophora. Symptoms start as reslessness, and progress to bumps under the skin, which become hard custs, difficulty swimmin and swim bladder dysfunction, spinal damage, spinal curvature and death. Any fish which has eaten a piece of an infected or dead neon may catch it. It is !00% fatal. The only upside is that there is a False Neon Disease which responds to Erythromycin and Tetracycline but has identical symptoms. It is bacterial. Watch out for these two.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Thanks for giving us the heads up, Doc. I really appreciate the information and know that others in our community will also be grateful.

ADDENDUM: It's good to have you join us as a member and I hope you will visit often; your expertise would be of great value to us.

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Nothing new I dont think! I havnt heard any massive losses/difficulties recently from people in the industry yet.. Let's not panic based on Yahoo Answers.

NTD & False NTD displays some similar symptoms but not all are exactly same!!!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Thank you, Dr. Price, for your input. We certainly do appreciate your expertise.* :)

Robert Price born June 14 1956. B.A. in Zoology CumLaude The Johns Hopkins University Cheseapeake Bay Institute and the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, 1972. M.S. in Zoology, New York University, 1977. Graduate Fellow, NYU 1973-1980: Managed live Ichthyological and Herpetological Collection of the Biology Department. .Ph.D. SummacumLaude in Zoology, New York Univeristy 1981(Majoring in Herptology and ichthyology). Journal Referee and Lecturer for the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetolgists and the Society for the Study of Reptiles and Amphibians. Instructor in Aquaculture at the Beach Channel Institute of Science and Oceanography, 1985. Adjunct Professor, Nassau Community College.

Author of over 20 Nationally and Internationally published Articles and Books on Fish, Toads and Snakes.

* Please correct me, Dr. Price, if I have the wrong information regarding your background.

Last edited:

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Thank you for the heads up, Dr. I've decided to limit my fish purchases to domestic breeders whenever possible. It's a little more expensive initially, but the fish seem healthier and well-cared for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store