Bolivian ram Sex?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
i have had 2 bolivian rams in a 20 gallon tall for about a month and a half and i am still not positive on the sex of them. they are both about 2-3 inches long and appear healthy. they share their tank with 10 black skirt tetras and 3 black kuhli loaches. can anyone tell me the sex of thease fish? i think the one on the right in the photo of the two of them is a female but she sometimes chases the male away and i would think its the other way around.

IMG_0072.JPG
female on right? male on left?
IMG_0073.JPG
female?
IMG_0081.JPG
male?

IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0072.JPG

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Cant tell for sure from pics but check the tube as these are shown. Generally, blunt end tube is a female and sharper/pointed end tube is a male.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Hard to tell. top pick looks female, middle pick looks almost male.

Bigger issue, I'm not sure that the crushed shell substrate is going to be good long term for them. They aren't like the africans, they prefer softer water.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Agreed with the soft water comment. They both look female to me but hard to tell. Beautiful fish though :)

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
The male's top and bottom ray of the tail (red) will extend past the rest. The female's tail rays are all the same length. The third ray of the male's dorsal is longer (black).

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
venting is the best way to determin sex.
female larger/thicker blunt tube
males short and pointed
middle pic looks female as does the fish on the right in the upper pic.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I can't tell, but if you got them from chain pet store, chances are good that they're both male. This would also explain the chasing, since males generally don't get along.

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Oh I dont know how one can assume gender depending on where it was purchased as both could be female. Even if male & female, doesnt have to be love at first sight!

Although not 100%, I must agree at least one is female as posted SR.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store