want to start planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mizukie

AC Members
Mar 9, 2011
hi :3 i just bought a 150 gallon tank off someone the other day. just got done with its 100% fill and 24 hour w8 to see if any leaks showed none seemed to have poped up yay!
but anywho i wanted to start a planted tank with this tank but seem to have come to a hault i did some research last night and today and found lots of things out for 35-55 gallon tank sizes and not much info on my super big 150 gallon tank. first off i plan to get a rena filstar xp3 canister fliter. would this work with a tank my size or should i try something else. also confused on the lighting i would need the tank is 48''x24''x32'' i also plan on at some point makeing my own wet/dry fiter system. i have been looking at co2 DIY things as well but dont no how well it will work with a tank my size. i plan on useing eco- complete along with a small layer of sand on top of that with a light coverin of my eco complete to give it some color and better hold for the plant roots also are there certain plants that only need to be placed and left alone or need to uproot and clip or work on them asking because seeing as im shortish and the tank is very deep it would be hard for me to mess with things to much xD but yes any help would be much appreciated

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I am no expert, but these are just some ideas. What type of tank, Glass/Acrylic? Are you on a budget?

I would not really go with the rena xp3, maybe the xp4.

Here is what I would do for supplies for that size tank

Filter- Eheim 2075 Pro III Canister Filter
http://www.amazon.com/Eheim-2075-Pro-Canister-Filter/dp/B002AQED9Q/ref=pd_sbs_k_4

Lighting- Catalina Aquariums Black Solar T5 HO 4X54 48 inch
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1423

Gravel- Same choice as yours(eco complete and a layer of sand)
petco does often have online sales with free shipping on eco complete $16.99 per 20lbs bag(bought 7 bags recently)

Heater-500 watt titanium heater
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=42_43&products_id=980

Co2- Don't really know much about co2. Never used it. Planning to, but you should definitely use it, but ask someone else for suggestions as I know nothing about co2 systems.

Algae Cleaner- Mag Float(these are the best and fun to use)
http://www.amazon.com/Float-350-Mag...68ZY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299823054&sr=8-3

Powerhead- Koralia Evolution 1400Gph
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia...3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1299823226&sr=1-3

I think that is about it, you don't have to buy what I recommended, just some good products, to start out with.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
PLEASE....let me give you a few more Options.

Filters : get 2 of these, look for the mod in the DIY section
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Canist...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c38604b3

Lighting : http://cgi.ebay.com/48-4-ft-Aquariu...658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a59fbb5a

Gravel : Go dirted..maybe 4 bags of Miracle Grow (LOOK INTO IT)

Heating : Nothing better than titanium heaters

Co2 : if you go with the lighting I suggested you might have to go to pressurized co2 or dose a lot of Excel.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
+1 on the dirt, but I'd whip up some mineralized top soil, capped with black Flourite (I prefer black 3M colorquartz, but it's been discontinued and very hard if not impossible to find). MTS takes time, but it's worth it's weight in gold when planting a tank. Read up on it on some of the planted sites.

For lighting, Fishboss was right on the money, Lighting- Catalina Aquariums Black Solar T5 HO 4X54 48 inch, but have them put extra cords/switches so you have lighting period options. I'd go with three switches and the hanging kit (if you can hang the fixture).

Heaters, I've also started using Catalina titanium heaters, been about a year now, I'm very happy with them.

For a tank that big, your going to need pressurized Co2 especially if you go with the T5 lighting. I'm a big fan of Green Leaf Aquarium co2 set ups. I have his primo regulator over a year now, I've never had a problem with it. If you use a canister filter, look into his external atomic diffusors. (right now my 75g is an embarrassment, I'm waiting for GLA to get in the correct size diffusor for my filter hoses).

I dose excel (1mL per 10 gallons) daily on all my tanks, even my 75g which has pressurized CO2. Some might disagree, but it works for me.

Def a canister filter, I always go up one size from recommended from the manufacturer. I use Filstars, they seem to start up immediately after water changes for me. Some swear on Eheims, I've never used them. It's easier if you find one you like and stick with it (parts, etc).

You'll probably find you need more flow with such a big tank. I've own several of the old model Koralia power heads, they are the way to go.

Hope you post some pics!

Last edited:

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
For lighting, Fishboss was right on the money, Lighting- Catalina Aquariums Black Solar T5 HO 4X54 48 inch, but have them put extra cords/switches so you have lighting period options. I'd go with three switches and the hanging kit (if you can hang the fixture).
about a year now, I'm very happy with them.
Does catalina aquarium make/add extra switches for their fixtures? I just want to know so I can request them to do it for me. I am getting that same fixture for my 72G FW.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
I don't know much about plants, even though none of mine have died. I just fertilize once a week and i really enjoy my swords! They have freckles and they really make the tank look wonderful. I got mine at petsmat i think

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
No one seemed to mention this yet, but if you don't want to be clipping and uprooting all the time, go with rosette plants - swords, crypts, Vals, Sags, etc. Tons of options with these choices. You could also do ferns -bolbitis sp. watersprite, Java, etc. All of these choices would do great with the substrate and lighting mentioned above. If you don't want the constant maintenence, limit bunch plants to just a few faves or aviod them all together.

ROY

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
Does catalina aquarium make/add extra switches for their fixtures? I just want to know so I can request them to do it for me. I am getting that same fixture for my 72G FW.
If you call them to order, they will design a fixture pretty much whatever you want.

I had them put each bulb on a separate switch for my 29g 2x24W T5. ( I think they charged me an extra $10 a switch). The 29g is a bowfront, that's a lot of light for such a small tank, but I'm able to run the back bulb 3.5 hours, both bulbs 1 hour (short mid day burst) and then the last 3.5 hours I run the front bulb.

These fixtures are light weight, you can buy legs or hanging kits, and I think they still make them in black even tho the pics are all silver.

mizukie

AC Members
Mar 9, 2011
so far i have gotten the filstar xp3 fliter cause im brokeish xD
and just bought 4 20lb bags of eco-complete would this be enough? should i still add sand or something else?
then i got the 48'' T5 aquarium freshwater plant light strip hood 216w is this enough for now?
250w - 17'' tall jager heater (106-159g) not submersable plan on later getting a better one that is sub x,x

these are the plants i have comeing in! tell me what u guys think D:
echinodorus amazonicus x9
balansea x3
fissidens spla x2
round pellia x1
crypt wendtii green x3
narrow leaf java fern x1
tricho x2
weeping moss x2
philippine java fern x1
windelov fern x1
still planing on way more plants just all i had the money to get this month x,x
i plan on getting crystal cherry shrimp sometime next month! but i also want to get some
fishes cause 150gal is alot to have fun with! any ideas on good fishes that go okie with these neat shrimpys and plants xD

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
so far i have gotten the filstar xp3 fliter cause im brokeish xD
and just bought 4 20lb bags of eco-complete would this be enough? should i still add sand or something else?
then i got the 48'' T5 aquarium freshwater plant light strip hood 216w is this enough for now?
250w - 17'' tall jager heater (106-159g) not submersable plan on later getting a better one that is sub x,x

these are the plants i have comeing in! tell me what u guys think D:
echinodorus amazonicus x9
balansea x3
fissidens spla x2
round pellia x1
crypt wendtii green x3
narrow leaf java fern x1
tricho x2
weeping moss x2
philippine java fern x1
windelov fern x1
still planing on way more plants just all i had the money to get this month x,x
i plan on getting crystal cherry shrimp sometime next month! but i also want to get some
fishes cause 150gal is alot to have fun with! any ideas on good fishes that go okie with these neat shrimpys and plants xD
Good plan so far, as long as you save up to upgrade the filter later.

For gravel, I am pretty sure you will need more, since you need to cover the tank bottom by at least 2 inches so the plants can hold/root.
I have 7 bags in my 72 Gallon, so you probably want to buy at least 10+ total.
Eco-complete is on sale at petco with free shipping on $60. ONLY $16.99 (THE CHEAPEST YOU CAN FIND ANYWHERE, BOUGHT SOME RECENTLY, GREAT PRICE + FREE SHIPPING)

ECO COMPLETE IS LIGHTER THAN MOST GRAVELS, AND PLANTS WILL FLOAT OUT WHILE PLANTING OR BECAUSE OF BOTTOM DWELLERS UNLESS YOU HAVE 2-3 INCHES OF GRAVEL.

ARE YOU PLANNING TO SLOPE THE GRAVEL.

good luck!
:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store