HELP!!!!!stocking 240 gallon large south american cichlid tank!!please reply!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1212chris1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
frederick, maryland
Real Name
chris
Mods can delete my other thread.... just want to start fresh with all the new ideas popping up in my head

filtration will be....
2 eheim pro 2 2128 thermofilter, 2 AC 110's

stocking list....(none are in tank yet)

1 oscar
2 BP's
2 firemouths
2 blue acaras
2 severums
6 tinfoil barbs
1 african brown knife fish

i would really like the oscar and the 2 blue acaras(and if i can the knife fish).. everything else is free game

if thats not stocked enough... some options i like below

port acara
uaru cichlid

if the top stocking list is fine im good with that too....

black sand substrate with lots of silk plants,rocks,caves,driftwood,bogwood,hiding spaces,slate

tank specs....

96x24x24

thanks for replying!!!!!!!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am not so sure about the oscar. Some can be a tad to bit aggressive for your other tank members.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
That's gonna become an over stocked tank with all those fish. Check it out

Oscars - 14"
Blue Acara's - 6-7"
Blood Parrot's - 8-10"
Firemouths - 6-7"
Severums - 10"
Tinfoil Barb's - 14"
African Brown Knife Fish - 12"
Sailfin Pleco - 18"+

That's gonna be one huge bio-load specially with the Oscar and the Sailfin Pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) in there. Oscars are very messy eaters and all giant pleco's have one thing in common. There GIGANTIC poop machines. 6-8 Tinfoil barbs is alot for even a 200 gallon aquarium. The African Brown Knife Fish I feel would not last long with the cichlids. You may want to switch up what kind of fish you want. I think the Oscar with the Acara's and possibly the blood parrots may work or with the firemouths. Severum's do good with Oscars but I'm not sure how they would do against the BP's FM's or BA's since Severums can sometimes have attitudes and would most likely be able to over power all the smaller cichlids.[/QUOTE]

Port Acara - 6"
Uaru - 10-12"

Blue Acara's and Port Acara's shouldn't be mixed for multiple reasons but the biggest being a risk of hyridization. Uaru do best in groups and from kwhat I read and heard from others have bad attitudes so would be a threat to the oscar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store