Mating Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have 3 double Black Veiltail Angels and 2 Double Black Lace Angels in the same tank. If the Veiltail mates with the lace Angel what will I get. I tried dividing the tank but they seem to get over to the otherside some how so I am thinking of taking the divider out.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I would just let them be. Perhaps some gorgeous offsprings from whatever pairs as done in selective breeding?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Go to angelfishkisses.com and search genetics. There is a great couple of threads about genetics in Angelfish written by a well known breeder. It is quite complicated...still having trouble with it myself. It makes sense when I read it, but then I can't seem to translate into real life!! LOL

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I am a little confused about your teminology-
Veil implies one veil gene
Superveil implies two veil genes
double dark implies two black genes
black lace implies one black gene,
So when you say "double black lace"... it cant be both- either the fish has two black genes, or one black gene which is dominant over some other patern- which can sometimes still be seen as a darker black pattern under the primary black, which is where the name black lace comes in. So which is it?

Either way all the fish will be appear black if at least one parent is a double dark. If both are double dark, 100% of the offspring will be double dark. If only one has both black genes, and the other is a black lace, the babies will also be 50/50 double dark/black lace
and if one parent has one veil gene and the other does not, then 50% of the babies will be veils, and 50% standard fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store