Thinkin out loud here....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
So, I'm planning to get a 75g that I will be moving my Mbuna into. So, I will have my 55g free...I'm thinking of using it as a Lake Tang. tank. Looking at the Cichlid forum (I love that site), they have a "suggested" tank area. Now I have C. brichardi (4) already that will be going in there and they are not in any of the tank suggestions, but here is what I am thinking about...
Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12
Select 1 pair from each group (max of 2 pairs):
Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps
Neolamprologus leleupi or cylindricus
Julidochromis or Chalinochromis
Telmatochromis vittatus, bifrenatus or brichardi
or
Cyprichromis leptosoma - 12 (non-jumbos)
Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps
Neolamprologus buescheri - 12
• Shell dweller pair of choice -'Lamprologus' (Shellies) brevis multifasciatus(group)meleagris,
ornatipinnis, ocellatus, speciosus, similis (group), Neolamprologus signatus

Does anyone see any problems with either of these set ups? I'm not set on anything, and not even sure this is really the way I will be going with the tank, but just thinking a bit ahead :)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I think when settinh up a Tang tank you want to select fish that take up their own niche. Usually with Tangs you have rock dwellers, shel dwellers, open water, and open sand.

I would pick 1-2 rock dwellers, 1 shell dweller and 1 open water fish.

For example, you already have c. brichardi which is a rock dweller. For the other species you could pick lelupi, calvus, comp or Juli species. Most of which you can find locally.

Next for shell dweller I would pick L ocellatus but that's because I'm very partial :) The only species of shell dweller I wouldn't do is multis. I think they don't too well in a community tank and would be happier in a species only tank. That's just my experience.

On to open water, a small Cyprichromis species would be perfect. They are active and the males are nice looking. The females are silver sadly. I personally prefer Paracyprichromis nigripinnis over cyps since I think they look nicer. They alsoi tolerate other males better IMO. The only thig is they are not as active. Both of these species can be bought from that guy in evansville.

I don't remember where you are located but if you have free time tomorrow (and if you are near the area) There is a fish auction going on in New Berlin. It's free to participate and there should be some good stuff. I'll be there.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Thanks Blue...yeah that is about 2 1/2 hours from me, no way I could be able to make it tomorrow :(. Do they have these auctions very often? Would be fun to make one!

I really like the Calvus but I like lelupi also, that will be a hard choice when the time comes! The ocellatus (gold) and the similis are my fav's of the shells, would a group of both be to much in a 55?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store