Live rock in cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hrb47

AC Members
Mar 16, 2006
I am thinking of switching from salt water to a cichlid tank. My question is could i use the live rock from my salt tank in the new tank. If in recure the live rock in fresh water, it will kill anything that is on them. Need an opinion on this.

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
If it was me I would try to sell off your live rock, especially if it's cured you should be able to get a fair price for it, and then buy new rock for your cichlids. Depending on what species you want to have you would be better off with some slate or smooth boulders instead of a porous rock anyways.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
All of the benefits that live rock has in SW it also has in FW. You will need to recure in FW before adding it to a tank with fish. Curing in a fishless tank would be a great way to fishless cycle. There is some merit to the previous reply, in that IF the rock is nice and IF you can find the right person you could sell it for enough to fill alot more space than the live rock took up.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
+1 on the idea of selling it, you could get a great price for it if you sold it. Texas holy rock is a cheaper freshwater alternative...

I'm not sure wether it would work or not, but it's an interesting idea.

Good luck,
Cam

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've heard of people having good experiences with http://www.holeyrockoftexas.com/ but I can't vouch for them...I was going to order from them but ended up buying lava rock from my local landscaping store instead. Since I ended up with 160lbs the price became very important and $0.50/lb couldn't be beat, plus the porousness of the lava rock should help hold bb like the live rock does in a saltwater setup

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store