marine beta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chrisstager

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
I was considering adding one to my tank. I have 110 gallon high with live rock. The tank contains about 50 hermit crabs, 2 emerald crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a scalet shrimp, 2 sea serpants, a yellow tang, purple tile fish, flame angel, coral beauty angel, two maroon clowns, and an orcid dotty back. My conserns are will it be to slow to feed in my tank and will he one day eat my dotty back? Any help greatly aprieciated

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Dont know what and how small your dotty back is but never had any that wasnt cunning or fast enough to live with a Comet, dont ask me why.
Although will eat small fish but rather much smaller mouth proportionate to its body size when comparared to similar size groupers, lions, etc, etc

I would be more concerned with shrimp's future but again depends on your aquascaping/kind of shrimps as well as their alertness.

I had kept WELL-FED Betta in reef with few species of ornamental shrimps as fish usually stay/just hung around near top in the rear, behind the rocks most of time other than feeding time.

If willing to take a chance, try finding one that is weaned off live food.

btw, how aggressive or should I say territorial, is your lone yellow tang. Ther is a chance tail of Betta may be nipped at in the beginning depending on your exisitng fish's temperaments.

btw, it can go for carpet diving so tighten up any opening especially in the back.

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Good Luck but DO NOT underestimate what fish are capable of or how powerful their suction is. Even if it cant swallow, can do enough damages to immobilize/cripple the shrimps. Ive seen how seahorses have swallowed the shrimps which I thought were impossible for them to swallow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store