Mystey snail eggs...tons of them! Questions, questions, questions!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Ive had mystery snails for a few months now and never any eggs. Well on 3/3 I woke up to a beautiful clutch hanging off my tank glass. I moved it into my fry tank. Right now its in a net breeder which has a tupperware container in it which I lined with filter sponges and I have the clutch sitting on paper towels. I added some water to the tupperware and have the lid on it which I punched holes in. im watching daily for hatching but none yet. Today I notice some of the eggs are looing white and dryer than the others in the clutch. Some are still quite pink. Is this normal? I can see small dark dots in the center of each egg that were not there at the start so Im assuming the babies are growing. At what point do I break the clutch open if none have hatched? Its at 9 days right now. Ive read 10 days to 14 days but I dont want to break it open too early or too late. I figure once they hatch or I break it Ill put the babies in the breeder net and that way I can see them eating for a bit. Should I do a water change tonight or tomorrow so they are going in a nicely cleaned tank? I have some very small fry in there so I havent changed it in about a week but everyone seems quite happy and this new clutch (mentioned below) makes me think the water is good or the snail wouldnt lay. Testing everything comes out great.

Yesterday morning I woke up to another large clutch. Is this likely from the same female or does this mean I have two females? This one Im thinking Im going to leave hanging on the glass since its already in my fry tank. Its next to the filter but also next to the heater. I figure if it doesnt hatch then at least I already have the clutch in the tuperware so it wouldnt be a big deal if I lost it. Is this a smart idea or should I take it and tupperware it like the other?​

Lastly do mystery snail babies tend to take on the coloration of only the mother or can it turn out to be a mix? I have no idea technical names but I have the yellow shell/white body ones, brownish green shell/dark body ones, light blue shell/blueish body ones, and purple shell/light body ones. Is it possible Ill get some nice colors? I also had a pink shell/snow white body one for a few months but lost it. Thanks for the info. Im really excited to get these babies! :)

Melissa

Buff

Former Squid
Oct 5, 2010
The Hills of NW Georgia
Real Name
Buff
Hey Melissa,

A lot of your questions can be answered at applesnail.net Keep the clutches of eggs damp and warm and let nature take it's course. It could be 3 weeks before they hatch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store