125 Stocking Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Ok, so I was told yesterday that I will get a 125g if I can get good grades, but will have to get rid of my 55. I plan on moving some of my favorites to a densely planted 37, taking down the 55, setting up the 125, and keeping a 5 gallon for something.

So, I was hoping to be able to house my 3 favorite fish in the 125, pictus cats, an Oscar, and a small group of Satanoperca leucosticta. I plan on over-filtering the tank, and doing this: http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=Choose&AquTankLength=72&AquTankDepth=18&AquTankHeight=22&AquListBoxFilter=Choose&AquTextFilterRate=N%2FA+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=pictus+catfish&AquListBoxChooser=Pictus+Catfish+%28Pimelodus+pictus%29&AquTextBoxQuantity=5&FormSubmit=Add+%3E&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=201002121217%3A1%3A%3A%2C200911101445%3A4%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

I already have the leucosticta, so he defintely has to be in the 125 with some friends.

I plan on getting the O once the 125 is set in stone (99% chance, not 100% yet though) and growing him out in the 37 until I pick up the 125. (Once he is in the 125,some of the 55 goes into the 37, the rest goes to the LFS or buyers like you) I will be getting the tank this summer, probobly in July. The O will be with some danios, and will NOT be feed live food, just pellets + flakes + frozen bloodworms. I plan on getting him tiny, at around 1"-1.5".

Will a set-up like this work? What kind of PH, Temp would you reccomend? What filters would be the best for this set-up. For substrate will pool filter sand work?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
TIA for your help, I'm pumped for the new tank!

ps. I will get adult Pictus, and the O will be < 3" by the time they go in together. The S. Leucosticta is already 4", and I plan on getting similarily sized buddies for him.

Last edited:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
so, do you think that 4 S. Luecos, 5 pictus cats, and 1 Oscar will work in a over-filtered 125?

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
Sorry I've never kept an Oscar. I know they create a lot of waste so make sure you are up on those water changes because the last thing you want is the leucos developing HITH

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
yeah, do you think I could use a garden hose for WC's? (I'll dose with prime first) I ask because my faucet downstairs is weird, and the upstairs one is too far for a python. My garden hose is right outside the window, and it can easily reach in.

I'm really worried about the pictus getting picked on by the O, do you guys think it will work?

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
I use garden hoses for all my water changes. In fact I use 2, one to drain a tank and another to fill up, multitasking!

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
I would skip the Oscar. Too many variables in their personalities and difficult to rehouse/rehome if you would need to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store