want to start a marine aquarium but need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knowhowboi

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2004
sunny california
Visit site
Hi I want to start a marine aquarium but I'm not sure what fish would be best for a newbie. What "basics" would I need to complete the aquarium. I really have no idea what I would need. I grew up using a traditional glass bowl and buying golf fish that die within a few weeks. I really like that fish on the finding nemo movie, its a clown fish right? How much do those sell for? would I be able to find them at my local pet store? What size tank would they need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=2381881851

Would that 10 gallon tank suffice? I don't want a tank full of only one fish specie so please suggest some attractive fish that aren't too tiny and are somewhat easy to maintain. Also I don't want a huge massive tank considering space is limited in my room. Thanks everyone, please advise

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A 10 gallon tank is really not a good starter saltwater tank. The small volume of water is hard to keep stable--basically it needs daily attention. Water evaporates off, and this increases the salinity of the water, making it quickly unsuitable for fish.

The smallest tank I would recommend is a 30. This size will require more work than a larger tank, but not so much that it will be overwhelming.

For a tank with a clown--no anenome, just a clown, a few shrimp/snails/crabs, and maybe 2 other fish, you will need the tank (and for this load, a 30 will be the minimum), a strip light with Normal Output flourescent lighting, 2 powerheads, about 3 inches of sand, 30-45 pounds of live rock, a heater, a hydrometer, a protien skimmer and a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH--and of course, marine mix salt. Pretty bare bones minimum, still about $500. You can reduce that in a few ways, but I'd plan on having at least that much at a minimum.

For fish--in addition to the clown fish, you could have a trio of shrimp (fire shrimp, camels, peppermints, any of the peaceful shrimp), a herd of 10 dwarf hermit crabs, 10-15 snails for clean up, and then either a pair of fire shrimp, another clown (same kind as the first), or a trio of clown or gumdrop gobies.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
knowhowboi- I cannot stress enough the need to read and research this hobby before buying any piece of equipment. Read books, websites, forums, email lists- read any and everything marine related that you can get your hands on. I researched for over six months before I felt confident enough to make any purchase decisions.

The hobby is unique in that there are 100 ways to do anything- and they can all work. The only way to choose the right way for your circumstances is to be familiar with all of your options and they are many.

I wholeheartedly recommend books- the best IMO The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner. It will give you a broad overview of the hobby and get your mind pointed in the right direction. Around $30- a drop in the bucket marine tank-wise, and may still be the single most valuable purchase if it gets you off to a proper start.

Happy reading!

jhrivera

I like the pretty ones
Mar 21, 2003
Daly City, CA
Visit site
This forum is a great way to learn about this hobby. I can't believe how much knowledge I've gained from this forum! Lots of great people with great information. I've read a couple of the books that they suggested here, and have read a lot of the threads here for about 5-6 months before even buying one piece of equipment.

I would start out with at least a 30 gallon tank. If you are going to get Clownfish, try getting tank-raised Clownfish. They are a bit hardier and are already adapted to tank life. If your local fish store doesn't have any, I'm sure they can order some for you. If not, you could always order them online. I believe the minimum size a tank can be for a Clownfish is 30 gallons. Other fishes that you might consider are some Gobies, such as the Firefish Goby. I also like the Royal Gramma Basslet and the Bangaii Cardinalfish. All of these fishes are easy to maintain and don't grow too large ( I think 3-4 inches is the max, but some types of Clownfish grow a bit larger). Make sure you don't overstock your tank.

jhrivera

I like the pretty ones
Mar 21, 2003
Daly City, CA
Visit site
By the way, what part of California do you live in? If you live in or near the Bay Area, I can point you to some good local fish stores. If I were you, I would read a bit before I purchased anything. But at least you could take a look at some setups, fishes, etc. and get an idea of what you want to set up in the future.

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
All good advice up above. And I can't stress enough that it is all accurate. Don't know if you have the resources/room for a larger tank, but I wouldn't go small on a SW setup unless I had a LOT more experience/knowledge and time to invest in it. A larger setup would help you in maintanence/stability. If you can't, I'd hold off for a while until you can. I have been in the hobby 16 years, and I just now am feeling comfortable enough to venture into SW. I've been researching it for a while too. Do take the time to check out the books, ask questions, and make informed decisions. It will make your experience a lot more fun, sucessful, and you will have a deeper appreciation for it as well as satisfaction. Good luck! :)

knowhowboi

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2004
sunny california
Visit site
wow

Wow I've been reading up in the forums and information online. Saltwater fish sound like a major hassle! I have newfound respect for people with saltwater tanks! I'm willing to be committed to taking care of the fish tank like I would with any other pet but they sound very delicate and they need huge tanks. I'm going to purchase a small tank, any suggestions to what type of fish I could get that would enjoy the small tank? Please don't say goldfish lol

I might purchase this tank

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...0&R=7850&ref=3055&Nao=9&subref=AB&N=2004+2020

I want something that looks out of the ordinary, somewhat stylish I guess. Anyone has any suggestions for tanks, please give me any URL's that might come in handy. I greatly appreciate all the responses, Thank you.

knowhowboi

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2004
sunny california
Visit site
Originally posted by jhrivera
By the way, what part of California do you live in? If you live in or near the Bay Area, I can point you to some good local fish stores. If I were you, I would read a bit before I purchased anything. But at least you could take a look at some setups, fishes, etc. and get an idea of what you want to set up in the future.

I'm from Bakersfield,California ;) AIM screen name is Knowhowboi if you would like to give any suggestions or advice. Thanks!

knowhowboi

Registered Member
Feb 23, 2004
sunny california
Visit site
oh by the way, I don't want to start a saltwater tank anymore lol Would fresh water tanks be easier to take care of? So ya any suggestions for fresh water fish that would enjoy a small tank? thanks please reply

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
fresh water is easy depending on what you get but on a whole is less difficult and easier to start with than saltwater. If you want some fairly pretty brite fish for a freshwater tank I would suggest either going with some of the barbs. or livebearers like plattys or swordtails both groups are bright and lively. I am currently raising tiger barbs in a 20 gallon long tank. Its nice I am raising a species tank as in all I am going to raise are about 9 tiger barbs with a few catfish and an algaie eater to keep the bottom alive also. I think they are all very pretty fish and a lot of fun to watch the tigers come in 3 varities that I know about regular tigers, albinos, and green.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store