Weird White String Coming from inside Clownfish mouth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
My Clown has a weird white string coming out of his mouth. i thought maybe it might of just been clenching it but i fed it and while it ate it was still in there..

swimming fine like normal doesnt appear to be messed up in anyway.. just a bit concerned.. any ideas?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hard to say. Do they have an anemone and/or coral host? Could be some mesenterial filaments, which I've seen them ingest before. It doesn't sound like something terribly serious, but it'd still be good to have a pic, like cheech suggested. Careful observation for a while would be good, noting any symptoms, loss of appetite, etc., as well.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
ill try to get a pic but its a spazz! The pair of them host a giant green neon leather

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Silly question, but are you sure it isn't a hair? I once had a maroon clown bite a piece of cat hair that stuck to its mouth for days.. finally I had to catch it and pull the hair out by hand.

Off topic.. but did you see these clowns? First time I have heard of these.
Spotcinctus Clownfish

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
i dont know i pay close attention to theyre behavior everyday... i dont clean my tank as often as i used to but i pay attention to it and this happened over night.

i thought about yanking it but i figured id wait a few days

on your other note, no i havent seen those yet but they are very cool clowns haha... kinda of want them now, reminds me very much of my first grade b Picasso!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Ya, Platinum and Snowflakes have been around for a couple years now.. IMO they are the ugliest clowns around and they always have a high price tag, although $600 is higher than I have seen. Normally they are $200ea. To me they look like a clown that jumped out of a tank and right into a can of white paint.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Other than melanistic ones, I'm not personally a fan of any of the "domesticated" variants. I don't want my clownfish be like guppies, platies, and goldfish. Not that there is anything wrong with those fish in particular, but they are nothing like their wild counterparts, which I still prefer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store