Cory Fry and Growth Patterns (PICS)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
My Cory's layed aggs which hatched last week, so these are a little over a week old. Some of the fish are about 3-4x larger than the others - maybe about 1.2 of them. Are they just eating more or are they male/female differences?

Here are pics of the larger ones which are coming up on 1/2 an inch. The smaller ones are maybe 1/4 inch.

cory02.JPG

cory01.JPG

cory01.JPG cory02.JPG

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I don't remember that happening to any of my cory fry, but it's not impossible. It's not a gender growth difference for sure. And while it is not impossible for some fry to outeat their siblings, 3X-4X bigger is quite a difference in a week's time. My guess would be that the smaller ones are the weaker ones, and they aren't thriving as they should, for whatever reason. Just keep plenty of food in there for them. As you can see....lots of food = lots of growth. It always amazed me how fast my little cories grew. They are eating machines! Good luck!

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
We will sell most of them (or give them away) - probably close to 50 of the little buggers. We are feeding them the baby fry fish food and throwing in 2 bottom feeder pellets a day which they are devouring! This is the first time I have had Cory (speckled?) babies. We caught the mamma as she was laying. We waited for her to finish and used a razor blade to gently scrape the eggs off the walls and put them into a 10 gallon fry tank. We save probably 80% of the eggs and seem to have had a pretty good hatch ratio. We had no time for the fry tank to cycle so we are doing 30-50% water changes every other day from the main 130g tank. It is really cloudy right now probably due to a bacteria bloom. The ammonia is a little high - has a reading on the bottom of the scale so we are trying to keep up with that. Hopefully a bunch will survive. And of course from now on we'll always have a fry tank cycled and ready!

2rivers

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
NH
Real Name
Brandon
Baby corries are just the cuttiest lil fish.Great job! I have baby pygmaues and they melt my heart like Beagle puppies. Igot more than a dozen pygmies now in my main 10g and I would regret it if sold them after all the work I put into them. I started with like 4 and now have a healthy swarm, Im just proud,so I know you must be too. Corries each have there own personality, so the difference in growth rate is normal.

Wow 50! I should be scraping off the eggs then. great tips. I missed the above post while typing, oops

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
slipgate, it's not necessary to keep a fry tank ready and waiting. all you need to do is keep an extra small sponge in the filter on one of your other tanks. It's seeded when you need to set up another tank in a hurry. Just pull it out and put it into the fry tank filter. And you're good to go! Just fill with water then from your main tank. From that point on you can do water changes with normal tap/well water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store