Help Identify New Gymnogeophagus (I Think)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
Hi!

Just picked up this beauty. I THINK it is a variety of gymnogeophagus, but I am not sure which variety, or if I am even remembering the genus (?) correctly. What a mellow guy! Gets along famously with my chocolate cichlid, which is no easy task. And the video doesn't even do justice to his iridescent colorations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[video=youtube;HptNMhqPxIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HptNMhqPxIg[/video]

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Congrat on nice find. Perhaps Gymnogeophagus Sp. "Rosario" or even G. tiraparae, both originated from Uruguay.
Gotta look into it myself

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys. There are many locales for this fish but most likely it is the one called Arroyo Yerbilito which is pretty common in the hobby right now. And it's a young male in the picture. I have a couple still and was breeding them last year. Unfortunately the fry had a tendency to develop crooked spines near the tails and the pectoral fins would butterfly so I ended up euthanizing most of them. Might try breeding them again with different stock sometime.

Andy

tankenvy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2007
Andy, you get the prize--the minute I read Arroyo Yerbalito, that triggered my memory of what the LFS had him labeled as. Thanks for the ID, and also for sexing the guy. Now I can try to find a female and breed them, even though it seems that's a challenge, based on your post. Any suggestions for where to find a female? Thanks again!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Dan Ye-Jennings has some at www.americancichlids.net. Her stock is very good quality. Jeff Rapps at www.tangledupincichlids.com also has them regularly.

Getting them to breed is pretty easy. they are a delayed mouthbrooder. The female will lay the eggs on a smooth rock and the male will fertilize them. After about 48 hours the female will chew the hatched embryos out of the egg shell and mouthbrood them. I tried stripping mine at the 10 day mark and also letting her go to term and release them on her own to see if that had an effect on the spinal curvature problem without a positive result either time. It may be that my female had some bad genes and was passing them on to the offspring.

In any case good luck to you!
Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store