65 Gallon Aquaponics Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
Hello,

Welcome to my 65 gallon Aquarium/Aquaponic Garden Journal! My ultimate goal is to maintain a sustainable aquaponic garden using a functioning aqua environment. Directly below, you'll find the constant specifics of my tank/garden setup. I'll also be posting regular updates for those interested in this project. As always, comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated.

Tank: 65 Gallon Acrylic Seaclear (48"Long x "16Tall x 20"Deep) $30 at garage sale:perv:

Filtration: Single Petco Brand Powerhead 160gph. Main filtration is found in veggie crops where the hydroton growing medium provides bacterial breakdown of ammonia. Provides nitrogen directly to plant roots! Fourteen plants provide more than adequate filtration, using an NFT style hydroponics system.

Substrate & Decor: Substrate is composed of a sand/gravel mix. Normally I would veer away from sand in an acrylic tank, but since I purchased this one used, there was already some existing scratching. What the heck, why not use sand. Decor in the tank consists of rocks and driftwood for the natural touch.

Lighting: Hydrofarm Four Bulb, Four Foot, High Output t5's (218watts total)

Stand: Self-made with 2x4's. I have design plans if you need some ideas!

3/18 - Current Tank Status:

Inhabitants:
(1) Convict Cichlid
(1) Jack Dempsey Cichlid
(5) Buenos Aires Tetras

Aquaponic Garden: (2-week old seedlings)
(2) Cherry Tomatoes
(2) Orange Bell Peppers
(2) Sweet Basil
(4) American Flag Leeks
(4) Flamingo Swiss Chard
* Also have French Breakfast Radishes growing in soil separate from the aquaponic setup.

Here are some pictures of the current setup. There is still some painting and minor finishes that need to be done, but overall the jist is there. My fish are extremely camera shy, the don't like the reflection.

P1030788.JPG P1030789.JPG P1030790.JPG

P1030790.JPG P1030789.JPG P1030788.JPG

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Me and my roommate are doing this in a month with my new 150g. Totally awesome setup duder +1.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
What are your levels/parameters on a regular basis?

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
What are your levels/parameters on a regular basis?
Nice! 150 Gallons is going to be awesome. Do you have any idea what kind of lighting you are going to use? My tap water runs a pH of 8 but with the use of driftwood and allowing the tannins to stay in the water, I consistantly run a pH of 6.6-6.8. Right now I am under-stocked so my water parameters are null. Nitrates=0 Nitrites=0 Ammonia=0. Even seedlings use up a good amount of nitrogen. Stocking it should give more available nitrates for the plants, but I'll have to let you know. I would also like to locate a phosphorous testing kit, as that will come in very handy during the flowing stage of the vegetables.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Maybe I'm not seeing it and if so I apologize, but how is the tank water getting to the plants?

Keep an eye on your convict and JD, they are both very aggressive fish you may run into problems with them

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
Maybe I'm not seeing it and if so I apologize, but how is the tank water getting to the plants?

Keep an eye on your convict and JD, they are both very aggressive fish you may run into problems with them
Actually a very valid question. My pictures dont make it very clear. The powerhead actually in the intake water system to the aquaponics tub. There is a drain located directly opposite of the intake.

The con and JD seem to be getting along fine thus far. There is some aggression, but since they are both young, I am hoping that they will learn to be ok with each other. I was more worried about the tetras, but they are cool with the cichlids. My con has grown up around the tetras so he is pretty mild mannered.

Heres a pic to explain the powerhead:
P1030797.JPG

P1030797.JPG

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
So from the power head into the clear tub or the black tub? I have never seen a set up like this and it's very interesting. I'm looking forward to how it works out :)

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
So from the power head into the clear tub or the black tub? I have never seen a set up like this and it's very interesting. I'm looking forward to how it works out :)
Ya you got it now. It runs into the clear tub (soon to be black, to block light & algae growth).This is where all the veggie plants are. The black tub in the picture above is Radishes. They are separate from the aquaponic system and are just growing in soil. I had some extra space, that is why I added the radishes. Aquaponics is kind of still in the revolutionary stages, but they are great systems. I am also working on a 10gal aquaponic herb garden. For me, it is a great way to filter your tanks and harvest your own food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store