Introducing new angel to old angel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dita

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Hi,
I could really use some advice regarding angelfish introductions. I have had a pair of angels in my tank for awhile now and they are probably 3/4 grown. I raised them together and they chased all my other angels until I ended up just keeping these two (hoping I would have a bonded pair). Now one has died quite suddenly and sadly from an infection :(. I am sad for my remaining angelfish and would like to introduce a new fish in the hopes of the remaining angel forming a bond again. I have read a lot about larger angels becoming very territorial and I'm worried that it will kill any smaller angels that I put in (I have no reason to suspect this behaviour from my fish since it has never aggressed before, but you never know). The only advantage I have is that I was upgrading my tank when this happened, so the big angel is still in my old 30 gallon tank waiting to be moved to the 55 gallon. I have heard that this might be the best chance I have for adding a new angelfish to the mix (ie add the new one to the big tank first, then my old one so it does not feel territorial.

What is my best option? Should I buy several small angelfish and hope my old angel likes one? Introduce a single new angel and hope it's a hit? Should I worry about the size of my current angel and the size of the new buddy? In the end I only want to have the 2 angelfish. Tank mates for the 55 gallon includes 5 female bettas (I am aware that not everyone thinks this is a good mix, but it works for my fish).

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
Get smaller angels, then your bigger one won't be threatened. Then when they pair off, you can sell the others if you want to.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've not had any issues adding small/ juvenile Angels into a tank with a lone adult angel.
you will need to keep an eye on them tho ..be ready to deal with any issues that may pop up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store