Large "predator/venomous" tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

d_thomas_cg

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I just wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions or experience with a 100+ gallon tank with a combination of fish like lionfish, eels, stonefish, stingfish, and maybe some other fish that I think would fit in well like triggers. Do's and Dont's. Just curious. a setup like this would not happen for me for 2+ years, but as a few of you know, I like to start planning well in advance.

Also, the only specific question I have with this post, is: Can a mantis shrimp be kept with these types of fish?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Go ALOT bigger than 100 gals.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
I don't know much about saltwater but I know you will need a lot of space, these fish can be aggressive and poisonous fish will need a lot of room as these fish could release it when stressed. This is just my input

Also, how you gonna clean it? It does sound interesting though.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I currently maintain a 5000 gal that contains a Blacktip Reef Shark, a Whitespotted Bamboo Shark, a huge Yellowhead Moray and a couple of Groupers. Maintenance is easy unless you can't swim! Fwiw of all the animals the op mentioned the two I'd least like to be in with would be the Stonefish because they hide so **** well and stepping on one is more than just a painful experience, and the Morays because certain species (including the Yellowhead) will go out of their way to see what you are, often by tasting you. The rest of the fish mentioned are no problem if you keep your wits about you.

d_thomas_cg

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Yea I doubt I will ever approach anything close to 5000 gallons. I was thinking in the 125-200 gallon range. Maybe my math is off, but it seems that this would suffice for a lionfish, a snowflake or fire coral eel, a trigger and an angler or stingfish....

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
200 is in the right neighborhood, depending on your Eel and Trigger choices.

Tb86

Registered Member
Jun 29, 2011
200-350 gallons will do you nice, I run a 350 with a true stone fish, ect,ect need a good filtration system to keep up with the waste

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store