Blue Channel Cats

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
I just added 3 (making a total of 4) Blue Channel Catfish to my 29 G tank. I also added 3 Small Sized Jack Dempsies.
So my question is, what are the chances of adding more fish, or anything, some suggestions of what fish I could add, possibly African Cichlids.

I am running a AC150, Penn-Plax 150 or 250 Watt heater (can't remember which).

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
You're tank is going to be way overstocked as is. JD's get 10'' and channel cats (i'm not positive) get 24''+. I would suggest returning the cats and getting a bigger tank, 75g+.

JD's and Africans are incompatible (unless you're talking about west africans like jewels) as far as size and water perameters. You're heater is also way too big... which isn't a big deal unless it malfunctions and stays on... your fish will be cooked in no time.

HTH

ChiefXP

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
As of right now I can't afford a larger tank like you said. But with my luck the fish will slowly die off like my other set up I had going. I had a electric yellow of around 2". Oscar which was 4-5" Jack Dempsy around 5" and a Black Convict Male about 3-4".

By the time any of these fish reach that size I'll beable to accomodate them with a larger tank, probably 75-120g. That would be fantastic, for the mean time, this will have to work.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Just wondering, are the channel catfish the kind people fish for and eat? :scratch:

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I don't know about the "blue channel catfish" but I found most listed as channel catfish on the internet are the same I catch native here in Oklahoma. At least the scientific name is the same. I thought this would be an odd fish for aquariums though since they like more live food than dead although they will eat both. Chief, If your other tank was set up the same way this one is, you're killing them off by being overstocked. If you're bound and determined to keep them all until you get a larger tank, I'd suggest making sure your filtration is at least up to par if not way over filtered and doubling up on your water changes. I think I'd do 25% twice a week to keep up with those fish. I think the catfish and the dempseys can be a bit messy but I've never had them. As far as the africans, I don't know about compatibility but you definitely don't have the room. Did you cycle this tank or did you just set it up? Kyle

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Yes..
As the link pointed out, minimum tank size is 350 gallons...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Just for size value...
Some catfish really do get big!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
what kind of cat is that? colored like a flathead, shaped like a bluecat. They just caught a 121lb bluecatfish on rod and reel out of Lake Texoma on the Oklahoma/Texas border. It's a world record fish and they still have it alive in an aquarium. Kyle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store