High ammonia levels in cichlid tank (55g)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
I have had my tank for 18 months now. My levels were always great after the first cycle until roughly 2 weeks ago. At that point I started dealing with high ammonia levels (4-8ppm). I had a blue lobster as a scavenger at the bottom of the tank, but he went missing roughly 4 weeks ago. I didn't give it much thought because he always liked to hide. Anyway, when the levels started going high a couple weeks ago I did the usual stuff like doing 10-25% water changes and even put in ammo lock a few times. That would work temporarily, but the levels always went back up.

Anyway, last night I decided to take out the big rocks, plants and decorations in the tank to find the lobster. After going through the entire substrate I never found the lobster. All I can assume is he died and the fish ate him. Anyway, I am still dealing with high ammonia levels.

I have 10 adult cichlids, 5 babies, 2 algae eaters and 1 apple snail. This isn't even the highest number I had in my 55g at one time and then my levels were fine. At this point I am at a total loss on what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Dont know what kind of Cichlids you have but if pH is near 7 or lower, wouldnt worry about NH3 for now but should be more worried about possible NO2 presence now or in very near future.

Check for NH3 in tap if youre using tap to perform wc.

Hopefully your pH isnt lower than 6.0??? as such low/lowerpH can inhibit activities of nitrifications thus possible high NH3 presence.

Although Blue Lobster so called may have died and is main reason behind NH3 increase but should be able to find some shells unless pH is so low that shells just melted away in 4 weeks which I strongly doubt as fish may also have displayed some discomforts in such low low pH, especially juvies.

I had many crayfish/crabs crawl out, sometimes finding just shells many weeks later in a places I would never suspected..
have
Check for NO2 presence and hope you find the answer(s) soon.

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the reply Cerianthus. I just tested my pH levels and they are at 7.2 right now. My NO2 levels are 0ppm and my NO3 are at 0ppm also. The kind of cichlids I have are maingano's, labs, peacocks and acei's.

With those numbers what would you suggest as my next step?

Thanks again.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Hard to believe NO3= 0 in the tank that is 18 month old. Perhaps done few massive WC or massive disturbances on the tank recently??
If so, could be one of the reasons for NH3 spike/presence???
If not, some denitrifrication taking place?? Either that or you may have build up tremendous arm muscles from all the WC :joke::joke:

Provided tap has no NH3/NO2, continue with wc WITHOUT raising current pH in presence of any NH3. Look out for possible NO2 presence as NH3 subsides
in which case, should continue with small wc as needed to keep NO2 under control along with controlled/less feeding.

Although africans can live in your pH, upon controlling NH3/NO2, should consider adding appropriate rocks and/or even changing substrates to naturally increase pH/GH/KH to their ideal conditions ONLY and ONLY when NH3/NO2 are well under control.

In ideal conditions, they may even improve their colorations as well as frequency of breeding and increased # of healthier offsprings, not to mention their longevity.
When decided, DO it GRADUALLY though!

Have you checked inside the castle/tower for possible BL's remains? Look out as you may pass out if it is still rotting inside :eek:mg:

Hope this had helped a bit and Good Luck!

Roody

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Florida
Yeah I realized after the fact I overreacted to those ammonia levels and did to big of a water change. With those numbers what percent of a WC should I do and how often? What kind of rocks and substrate would you suggest for me? I took a quick peek into the castles, but I am going to pull them completely out and look up inside. Will let you know.

-EDIT-

Ok, I pulled the castles out and double checked and there was nothing in there.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Thing is, your spike (which does sound associated with the missing lobster) should even out very quickly, unless you blitzed your whole biological filter, which I presume you did not.

4 - 8 ppm ammonia is savage - I'm surprised you are not seeing very quick fish death/illness at those levels. Are we missing a decimal point here ?

In any event, how are you testing ? I'm very surprised that you have caught ammonia spikes and no increase in nitrite.

As regards substrate/rocks, crushed coral substrate (the smooth kind, not the stuff that has pointy bits like oyster shells) in it is very good as a buffer to maintain Ph, and tufa rock, limestone or slate all have similar qualities.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Are you sure your test kits are still good and you are testing properly? I have a hard time believing the fish are fine at 4-8 ppm ammonia and I'm having as much of a problem believing the nitrates are 0 ppm on an 18 month old tank stocked with largeish cichlids that is not planted.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
4-8 ppm of NH3 presence at pH of 7.2 is not a problem as long as pH dont rise above what it is now so dont go too crazy as your fish have not/may not display NH3 poisoning effects yet, I hope.

Make sure tap pH is same or bit lower than tank's pH, NOT higher than 7.2.
If tap's pH is higher than 7.2, post its actual value.

Unnecessary sudden/drastic changes can yield worst situations. Just concentrate on lowering NH3 for now in order to minimize any chances of sudden spikes of NO2.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store