Southeast Asian Biotipe: 1 1/2 years later.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Hey everyone, back in September of 2009, I started a southeast Asian biotope brackish fish tank. I posted on it on this website and ever since then it's been doing ok. I constantly forget to do weekly water changes unfortunately, because I've been busy with many other things. Fortunately, I planted Java moss back in the fall of 2009 when I started this, but regardless, the algae has been outgrowing the moss and covering up the tank's glass when I don't do water changes! What I DO want to happen is for the Java moss to grow and completely cover up the floor of the tank so that the gravel/coral sand can't be seen at all (like in this picture, kind of.)

One solution I thought of was to buy some snails or something that would eat all the algae off the tank sides and off the gravel and thus "allow" the Java moss to cover up the ground in the process. I've tried using MTS, but they stay under the gravel or get eaten. I'm still totally OCD on making sure that every animal in the tank is from the southeast Asian area, so does anyone know of any southeast Asian fish or snails that would clean up mainly the algae? Or does anyone know how to get rid of the algae only (I know water changes work, but anything besides that?) and promote the Java moss's growth too? Please help.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Amano shrimp, come from southeast asia and will even breed in brackish if I'm correct. What do you have in there besides the possible shrimp.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I have 3 bumble bee gobies. There's also ghost shrimp in there that serve as food and keep the tank somewhat clean. Thanks for the suggestion, guys. ♥

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store