Need help with reef...copper or something else?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
This is my story. I ordered fish online from liveaquaria and received them 9 days ago. When finished acclimating them I put them in my tank. I was using a bucket with a net, then pouring the water from the bag in the bucket thru the net. On one of the bag I poured all the water but the fish stayed in the bag. I decided to put him in the tank straight from the empty bag. There was very little water in the bag and I dumped it into the tank. I would say 3-4 tablespoons of water. A few days (maybe 4 or 5) passed by and the corals weren't looking well. Then I started to notice both blood shrimps were not doing good. Also all the brittle stars came out of the rocks and were just laying on the substrate. The snails were all upside down on the substrate. The sally foot crab came out and eventually died. One of the blood shrimps died. The other one is still alive because I took it out and put it in a different tank. I did a 30% water change after seeing all this happen. All of sudden the brittle stars start moving and going back into their hiding spots. There was a lot of them on the substrate and they all got up and went back into hiding. I lost some corals, 4 different sps, duncans and torch are looking very sad and some zoos are closed up. Acan shriveled up a little bit but they are doing good.

Ok now my question, could this have been because there was copper in the bag? If it was copper, would it have taken that many days for things to start acting up? What should I do now? Should I take everything down and start again?

I have a four foot 65 gallon tank running for about 7 months. What do you guys think?

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I don't think a few tablespoons of water would do that much harm to a 65 gasllon tank. Maybe a mini cycle from introducing your new fish?

have you run some water tests? I would do that first, make sure your parameters are all up to par, and continue with the water changes.

If things are starting to look good again, I wouldn't tear everything down.

Did the introduced fish make it? What do you have in your tank?

btw sorry to hear what happened. Really sucks when we lose so much in a tank!

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
Yes, the fish are fine. I did add five small fish. I already had four fish in there. But none of the fish acted stress out or anything.

In the tank I have a lot of live rock not sure how much. I had a 210 gallon tank before this and everything in this tank came from that one when I downgraded. I had four other fish before introducing these other five.

The corals seem to be looking better except for a couple different colonies of zoos not opening up yet. The green slimmer started loosing its skin from the base, showing its white skeleton. It is moving up little by little. I will run a few test tonight.

I was thinking of calling liveaquaria just to see if they do put some type of chemical in the bag of water.

Well to prepare for the worst, if it was copper that I put in the tank, will the corals absorb copper like the live rock does?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Whenever you suspect possible addition of heavy metals, add high grade Carbon/heavy metal remover to filters as soon as possible and replace them frequently..

Dont know if Cu was in the shipping water but should contact to confirm and if so, at what [conc]? Usually .15-.20 ppm, if memory serves.

In a 7 month old reef set up, I strongly doubt mini cycle but should test to verify, including Cu test.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+1 to water tests and on calling LA. Would be interested in knowing the answer they give you. Wouldn't think mini-cycle either seeing as the contents of the current tank came from what sounds like a pretty established system. 9 fish in a 65 is a bit high of a bioload IMO and adding 4 at once could have caused a spike but again if this was an established tank I wouldn't think it would cause the problem you're seeing.

In addition to running good carbon, it's also a good idea to have some Polyfilter on hand. Great for removing metals and other things we don't want in our tanks.

Hope things continue to make a turn for the best!

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
So I called LiveAquaria and they told me they don't put any chemicals in the bag. I tried telling the lady that I wasn't blaming them for anything I just wanted to know so I could proceed with a course of action. She said no, no chemicals.

I checked parameters, and found the alkalinity at 7dkh. No ammonia, No nitrates, calcium at 380. I don't have magnesium test, copper test, or ph test at the moment. Can having a very low alkalinity kill invertebrates? Or low pH? The alkalinity could've been lower before doing the water change.

I had the 210g tank for almost 2 years. I was one of the people who got hit with the layoff in 2009. I needed money so I sold everything and kept about half of the live rock. I put some corals in my 29 gallon tank. I was out of a job for over a year. I finally got a job again and setup the 65. Now that I'm back on my feet I'm setting up a 120g tank. That's why I have so many fish on the 65 because I'm preparing for the 120 tank. Well now I have this situation and I'm kind of scared of moving the things I have in the 65 tank to the 120g.

I will buy a copper test maybe tonight and see what the results are.

The only change I did other than adding more fish was selling the metal halides on the tank because I'm going with LED's now. I sold the halides to early so I put some T5's on the tank while I get done with the LED's. But that wouldn't have an affect on the invertebrates dying.

Things are still a little sad. The zoos are still closed but I see some opening up.

Again in case I find copper, will the corals absorb the copper as well as the live rock?

What do you guys think? Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
Where do I get the polyfilter from? Does the filter change in color if there is copper in the water?

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Where do I get the polyfilter from? Does the filter change in color if there is copper in the water?

I believe Bio Marine Product's PolyFilter turns blue if Cu is present in water. Should be easily avail thru online.

Check Spec Grav as well as pH just to make sure.
I usually maintained 15dKH and bit higher [Ca], if memory serves, but skeptical if that is main culpits for your losses/problems.

Last edited:

masterkaw

AC Members
Apr 12, 2007
Yes, I'm going to buy a pH test as well. Salinity is at 1.026 using a refractometer that hasn't been calibrated. I also tested with hydrometer and I get the same reading.

Do you know if the polyfilter will be something lfs carry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store