Rainbow Shark general nature?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
What is the general consensus on the nature of Rainbow (Red Finned) Sharks? I know Red Tail Sharks can be pretty territorial and aggressive, but I see mixed reviews on the Rainbow...

My wife would like to get one (or two) to add to our 50 gallon (48" long), but I'm concerned about how well they'll behave with our Peppered Corys, as we're building a cory-centric bottom level. I'm not too worried about their activity level, but the aggressive tendencies of them in a community tank. Future additions look possibly to be Neon/Glo-light Tetras, or dwarf gouramis.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That is not my experience with either RT or rainbow sharks. They body slam corys into the gravel, not necessarily killing them. Sharks are territorial & corys just don't get that concept. It may not happen to yours but with an adult 5+ inch fish, it's asking for trouble. Have a back up plan (rehoming) if you decide to try it. Rainbows are very slightly less aggressive than RT, only 1 of either. They also will fight with SAE, other torpedo shaped fish & other bottom dwellers.

Too bad they're so pretty, 1 of our old favs was "Mako Jaws of Death", a rainbow that slammed a few corys before we could move him.

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
they will be ok with cory's. I have a red tail with cory's never bother them.
That is not my experience with either RT or rainbow sharks. They body slam corys into the gravel, not necessarily killing them. Sharks are territorial & corys just don't get that concept. It may not happen to yours but with an adult 5+ inch fish, it's asking for trouble. Have a back up plan (rehoming) if you decide to try it. Rainbows are very slightly less aggressive than RT, only 1 of either. They also will fight with SAE, other torpedo shaped fish & other bottom dwellers.

Too bad they're so pretty, 1 of our old favs was "Mako Jaws of Death", a rainbow that slammed a few corys before we could move him.
That's my concern, less than 2 hours in, and experiences each way. :( I wish there was a safe way to test it's behavior before buying it... lol Re-homing isn't an option at the moment, just the 50 gallon, and no prospects for a second any time soon. :-\

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Not as pretty but SAE might be a safer choice, you can keep 1 alone. I haven't keep any sharks or SAE with guppies, many fish can't resist slow colorful tails, looks like flake food I think...

Over the years we've had 5 or 6 sharks I think, all eventually got more aggressive. If your or your wife's heart is set, ask the return policy at LFS. They may or may not take a shark, with or without store credit. They can be jumpers too so tight lid, & several caves/wood may help. YMMV but ours didn't.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
I loved my RBS! My tank was a little too small for him, unfortunately (noob impulse buy :( )

I would say its a hit or miss. Just like Bettas, their personalities can vary. My shark would chase aroiund my cories ocassionally if they went near his spot but he never hurt them.

I would say make sure you have a tank to QT him in incase he gets violent.

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Rainbow sharks will be fine when they're out of their cave, but if a cory gets in his cave, it may be bad :O

yodafett

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks to everyone for their input... may have to find another substitute... :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store