Feather duster or pest?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Had this in my chaeto for the last few weeks. Tried a week ago to get it out thinking it was a feather duster, but it vanished the moment the filter the chaeto currently sits in was turned off. Tried again the other day and found out why I didn't find it the first time. When it retreats it turns into a little ball of goo that basically looked like debris.

This was the view I kept seeing of it until I finally managed the other day to fish it out.

I placed it on a rock in the tank. It seems to have latched on, although it did move slightly up the rock from where I placed it.

I started researching thinking it may be a feather duster, but now not sure if it could be a Aiptasia or similar pest instead. It no longer tries to retreat when the water near it is disturbed, but I haven't tried touching it yet which seems to be suggested (will try that when I get home). Figured maybe the more experienced saltwater keepers on the forum may be better at IDing whether it is pest or not.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Was afraid that'd be the result.

Is it a pest only as far as reproduction and coral-stinging goes, or is their a threat to the overall tank? For instance, snails in FW tanks usually get the same advice even though they arn't too bad. And bristleworms sometimes get a similar response but are controllable. I know it's a definite removal in a reef tank, but in FOWLR with maybe some coral/sponges in the distant future are they definitely and uncontrolable pest?

I have a habit of keeping 'pests' in FW setups since they never bother me, but in SW they seem to often step over the line into dangerous so guess maybe it isn't a good habit to carry over.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
This is one pests you definitely do not want to keep. I hear what your saying about other things that may be considered pests, in sw side things like asterina starfish are pests, but easily controllable.. but believe us.. aiptasia is one you want to nip in the bud as soon as possible, and as thorough as possible because if you just wound it, it will release babies into the water and one will turn into 100 in no time. I just bought an aiptasia zapper to finally kill them once and for all because all other methods I have tried have only made them 100x worse. Now I am forced to take each rock out of the tank and spend several hours zapping them to death.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I ended up removing it. Hopefully I didn't cause it to spread. Made the bad assumption that since I put it in last night by hand, that removing it with a pair of tweezers would work. Damned thing had already stuck itself in the rock and dug in rather deep. Tore it out but not before it started breaking apart in the water. The main piece came out though and is now in my 10g orphan tank with the Frillfins and crabs.

Will keep an eye out for more popping up as a result and will have to remember to be more careful with future removal. Thanks for the advice everyone.

johnny roastbee

M.A.N. Community Vendors
Nov 13, 2010
When I had aiptasia on my rock, I found the only sure method of removal was to take the rock from the tank and give the rock a good shot from a propane torch directly at the area the aiptasia was. Other treatments just resulted in leaving a little piece behind which would regrow into a new creature.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i use aptaisa-x it works but you have to keep buying the stuff...i was told the best method is to get a couple pepperment shrimp and put those in cause they will kill or eat it...

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
I am curious how you removed it... did it come back? I have been lucky so far and have only had one in my tank. I pulled the rock and used straight vinger on it, then let it dry before rinsing it and returning it back to my tank...
I ended up removing it. Hopefully I didn't cause it to spread. Made the bad assumption that since I put it in last night by hand, that removing it with a pair of tweezers would work. Damned thing had already stuck itself in the rock and dug in rather deep. Tore it out but not before it started breaking apart in the water. The main piece came out though and is now in my 10g orphan tank with the Frillfins and crabs.

Will keep an eye out for more popping up as a result and will have to remember to be more careful with future removal. Thanks for the advice everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store