Are baby livebearers safe from common plecos, clown loaches, or cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ricochet

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Yonkers, NY
Visit site
I'm trying to grow out some just-born and baby guppies and platies, and was wondering if common plecos, clown loaches, or cories would eat them.

I know the usual answer is that anything that can fit whole into a peaceful fish's mouth should be considered fair game, but I'm hoping that some of you might have direct experiences.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I wouldnt leave the pleco or cories out of the picture. If they can catch a fry, then they will eat it.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
My cories love baby guppies. I do not try and save many as a rule and they are a great source of live food for other fishes. At one time i did raise them and found Lee's double breeder a great asset. You can isolate the female when she is with in a week or so of giving birth and there is a grate near the bottom that the young fall through so she cant eat them. You can leave them in there until they get some size as to be safe from being eaten.

kvr

AC Members
Apr 17, 2001
Ghent, Belgium
allserv.UGent.be
If you want to keep them, you will have to move them to a small grow-out tank till they're large enough. I haven't seen my bristlenose go after those little guys, but for the clowns it'll be "snack-time" !

redwing

Addicted to rainbowfish
May 18, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
My experience with swordtail fry and my common pl*co has been a good one. Ralph (pl*co) hangs out with fry in his cave. I think it would depend on the individual pl*co's personality. Mine is gentle, shy, and deformed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store