April 2011 Plant of the month: Rotala rotundifolia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Rotala Rotundifolia

Origin:Asia
Lighting: low
Difficulty: low
Growth rate: Fast

Rotala Rotundifolia or just Rotala as most call it, is an easy to grow plant that grows well in low light and grows like crazy in higher lighting conditions. With CO2 and high light the plants will grow pink to red at the tops. It's great for filling in a tank quickly as the trimmings can be planted directly back into the substrate an will take root quickly. Some stems will sprout roots and pull themselves down to the bottom to grow like runners thus spreading faster.

I chose this plant because I have had great success growing it in many ways. I have grown it in the back of my tanks from the bottom all the way to the surface as back ground plants. I have grown it in front and trim it weekly with scissors as a for ground plant. I have let mats of trimmings float on the surface for baby fish to hide in. Shrimp seem to like living in it also. It's a very versatile plant but be warned, it can get weedy. You will likely find yourself trimming aggressively on a weekly basis. It can and will invade other plant areas but it is easily controlled by yanking it out. I have pulled out handfuls at a time with no ill affects.

One stem of this plant could fill a ten gallon tank in a year with proper lighting and careful propagation.

Here you can see some of the variation in color.
DSC_0030.JPG

Here you can see how Rotala can be used from the front of the tank to the back.
RotalaOval.jpg

DSC_0030.JPG RotalaOval.jpg

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Nice!
I need to buy some more because I used to have that plant, but sadly, because of BBA, the 15+ stems I had, all got infected. As you said, they get algae very easily.

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
As you said, they get algae very easily.
Sorry. I didn't say that, however like many plants in an aquarium hair or thread algae can grow on it. I haven't found that to be a problem since you can trim off the parts of the plant that have it and new growth will fill in quickly

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Sorry. I didn't say that, however like many plants in an aquarium hair or thread algae can grow on it. I haven't found that to be a problem since you can trim off the parts of the plant that have it and new growth will fill in quickly
Sorry, my bad:)
I thought you said that, but you said that it can get weedy.

Very nice tank pics. I like how you used rotala in the foreground, midground, and backround. It adds a nice depth and look to the tank.

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
:dance:...hm, very nice presentation...I like the oval framing....right up my alley...keep on sending snap shots...
I used the oval to zero in on the rotala as much as possible. I think it worked well.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store