angels eating plants?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
I have 5 angelfish in my pretty heavily planted 55g. (Stocking below.) This is the first time I have kept angels - I guess I didn't think they were destructive to plants.

They leave the swords and crypts alone, but seem to be doing quite a bit of nibbling on H. polysperma, corymbosa and difformis. Any thoughts? They are chewing them up quite a bit.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I have 5 angelfish in my pretty heavily planted 55g. (Stocking below.) This is the first time I have kept angels - I guess I didn't think they were destructive to plants.

They leave the swords and crypts alone, but seem to be doing quite a bit of nibbling on H. polysperma, corymbosa and difformis. Any thoughts? They are chewing them up quite a bit.
Not doubting your words but vid of such behavior possible as I also dont recall such other than cleaning spawning sites on broad leaves.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
IME..this is normal behavior for a 'pair'.

my angels may pick at plants but are rarely destructive.

maxthedog123

Can't have too many Tiger Barbs...
Jun 6, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Now that you mention it, the 2 who are a pair and laid eggs once do pick at the plants at their "end" of the tank. However, I've seen them all do it. It's damaging to a certain extent because they eat the new growth at the top of the plant. Most of the wisteria teems to be missing the top leaves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store