Substrate or Not to Substrate? (Goldfish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KrakenQueen

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2010
Hello!

I'm having an internal debate with myself over keeping or getting rid of the substrate in my 55 gallon goldfish aquarium. I'd consider leaving just enough to cover the bottom, but not much more. I only have two goldfish and two raphael cats, both are about 4-5" not counting tail (The cats may be going outside in a pond soon).

I want to keep the tank cleaner, which is hard to do when the gravel catches it all. I figure having only a thin layer of gravel would help me clean it better both with the filter and siphon.

Thoughts on this? Which do you prefer?

-Edit:
Another thought would be to get rid of all the small pea gravel, and instead replace it with larger river rocks. That way there's enough flow between the stones to allow for detritus to get to the filter or when I am cleaning with the siphon.

Last edited:

KrakenQueen

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2010
And decision made XD
I've removed all pea gravel and will be replacing it with river rock/stone instead.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
Sorry I did not reply earlier. I think that is a good decision. I have Estes Marine Sand in my 125. They love it better than the gravel I had in the 65. Its not silica or metallic based, its soft and sinks like a rock.

KrakenQueen

Registered Member
Oct 18, 2010
So there haven't been any problems with the filter sucking up any particles like other sands do? I managed to mangle a filter that way several years back.

I think for these guys I'll stick with the big river rocks, thanks for the input though!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
I think you made a fine choice! do worry about it. It should be easy to clean as well. To answer your question, no have not had an issue with the sand getting sucked into the filter intake. My fish have spat out the sand right next to the intake and it has not been drawn in.

BTW, I love your avatar. I used to have a Bearded Dragon for 9 years before she passed. I miss keeping them. great lizards

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
A method I've had some luck with is a "suspended" system Used eggcrate about an inch above the bottom .Used larger rocks on top so detrius pass through where it can be siphoned out , you could add a purge system along with an auto changer to complete it. Will save you a ton of work. gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store