Peaceful triggerfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MatthewD

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
Austin,Texas
Real Name
Matthew Dye
Im getting a 55 gallon tank and I plan on starting a reef tank. I may just be dreaming, but does anyone know of a trigger fish thats peaceful towards tankmates, under 100$,
and small enough to fit in my tank? All help is appriciated!!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
The Bluejaw triggerfish is one of the only peaceful triggers that are reefsafe. I paid mine 80$. Only issue is that it's recommended to keep it in a 100 g. tank. However I have mine in a 90 gallon (3 footer) tank and it hasn't had any issues with my tang that it shares the tank with.

you might be OK with with it in a 55, provided you don't have any tankmates that it will get in conflict with.

It's a great fish! Very shy at first, but it'll eventually break out of its shell.

Just be sure to cover your tank, as they tend to jump out of them. Mine did, but I saw it in time. Fortunately it lived through the ordeal.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are a couple of species of Filefish that would be suitable as well. They're very Trigger-like in appearance but generally much less aggresive and smaller. Just be sure to get something like a Mottled Filefish, Acreichthys tomentosa, or a Fantail Filefish, Pervagor spilosoma that won't get too big.

MatthewD

AC Members
Mar 23, 2011
Austin,Texas
Real Name
Matthew Dye
I read elsewhere that the Bluejaw Triggerfish would not be safe with small fish and invertabrates. To be specific, There is aso going to be a chalk bass and cleaner shrimp in my tank, And maybe a few cardinal fish. Would it predate on my smaller fish?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I think in the size tank your talking about, yes, the bluejaw would be an issue. In my friends 240G tank he has a bluejaw, 4 tangs, large angel, clowns, firefish, a leopard wrasse, and cardinals and the bluejaw is probably the most peaceful and friendly fish in the tank. The only problem with the bluejaw is it is very clumsy and runs into corals all the time, making lots of frags.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Bluejaws rarely get aggresive with other fish. Your cleanup crew is what you should worry about.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Only trigger fish that CAN be considered Reef safe are one that are very old and wearing dentures. lol!

Really depends on tank mates/tank size/Aquascape, IME..

Many filefish, calmer than triggers, will probably mess with corals/poyps, if memory serves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store