if you were to paint a discus tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeann82

AC Members
May 27, 2010
what colour do you think would look best? light blue? dark blue? or black?

also, i am thinking of a thin layer of white sand on the bottom

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Well it depends on what type of discus. It is commonly believed that many of the pigeon blood discus which are prone to peppering will pepper worse with a dark background. The white sand y bottom will help, but ma not alleviate he problem. I personally have had blue, watermelon and black. I like the black best of all. The white sand looks very nice. That is what I have had with last two tanks.

Many hardcore Discus enthusiasts think a bare bottom tank is the only way to go. They especially think this when you have juvies that need frequent feedings and really clean water to reach their potential.

I have done barebottom and personally can't stand the look..but that is me.

In the end, look at tons of pics, decide what YOU like and go for t!!

ValorG

AC Members
Mar 10, 2011
NY
Real Name
Gideon
Black will turn some discus dark. I've always been partial to a royal blue/light blue. Its light enough and looks attractive.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
My pigeon bloods did pepper up in a dark tank - lightened the tank and the peppering went away. I would go with lighter colors if you are going to get PB discus. I love my pool filter sand!

nc0gnet0

Discus Breeder
Oct 31, 2009
Grand Rapids
Real Name
Rick
I never paint the tank. Go to the hardware store and buy your self somesheet stryfoam (*I use fanfold used to insulate the esterior of a house before they install vinyl siding) and paint that. Fiberglass ceiling tiles (the type with a white paper backing) work as well. Each helps to insulate the tank. I prefer the textured spray paint "stone it" in a light beige.
Many hardcore Discus enthusiasts think a bare bottom tank is the only way to go. They especially think this when you have juvies that need frequent feedings and really clean water to reach their potential.

I have done barebottom and personally can't stand the look..but that is me.
No one says sand cannot be done, its just requires that much more work to keep the tank clean. Further complicating matters, if you have to medicate it makes the medication virtually ineffective. There are alternatives, I have a few tanks in which I have installed light grey slate tile, using aquarium silicone as you would a grout for the seems. In another tank I have used sand, but then mixed it with enviro-tex acryllic, which is the by far the best solution, albiet a little costly.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You can paint the inside bottom with epoxy paint, dump in a bag of sand, spread it around and let dry. The next day dump out the excess sand and voila'! Sandpaper bottom. Looks like sand but no place for dirt to hide. Just be sure to do it outside, because although they're chemically inert when cured, during the cure epoxy paints give off some nasty vapors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store