info on rocks...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i have my 55gal. cichlid tank up and running ..but i would love to add some rocks and drift wood..i live close to the ohio river..and can get plenty of wood..but can i use rocks from there too? if so do i have to boil those too? or how do you prepare them for a tank?...thanks for any info...:thm:

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Yep. Just scrape the crud off of them with a toothbrush, then boil them to disinfect :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Know your rock...I would put a sedimentary rock in. Something that's been polished smooth and round in the river is likely safe, but double check before adding it.

wpgfish

AC Members
Dec 13, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Real Name
TROY
be careful boiling rock as some rock have air pockets and they can blow up. the best way that i have found is to scrub them then put them in water with some bleach and the next day put them in water with prime. prime kills off the bleach

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
What kind of cichlids are you keeping ? Rocks can affect the water conditions in your tank, Ph & hardness in particular.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Nothing to worry about - rocks from a river or elsewhere will be fine. Limestone/slate stuff like that will buffer your water nicely.

I wouldn't bother boiling them - hot water, very, very, very mild bleach solution, and a thorough rinse afterwards = good to go.

(have to ask - calvus are in separate tank to the mbuna ?)

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You can try dumping some vinegar on them to see if there's a reaction. If it bubbles then you probably don't want to use them, otherwise they should be ok.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You can try dumping some vinegar on them to see if there's a reaction. If it bubbles then you probably don't want to use them, otherwise they should be ok.
The vinegar test is just a test for limestone. Limestone can increase pH and hardness, but that would be a benefit for Rift Lake fish.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
^ exactly

And if you've already got super hard water, its just a nice buffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store