isn't it nice to finally reach a nice balance in the hobby?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
I have two aquariums (and some small betta setups) which I believe have reached a good balance of fish and plants, and thankfully have enough time to maintain them on a regular basis. I have almost every kind of fish food I can get, decor, maintenance supplies, etc. And now all I have to do is the regular maintenance and really just sit back and enjoy the fish. Or not....

Even with this sense of balance in the hobby, there is always some sort of imbalance. Some yearning to do something more such as get a new tank, get a new type of filter, or additional filtration, some new plant supplement, or god forbid more fish to overstock current tanks.

This is where I am at right now, although I'm fighting the urge to spend money on frivolous things or more fish when I know I have just the right time to maintain what I have. I wanted to know if you have ever felt this way, or in general how you feel about reaching a goal in the hobby?

Thanks and happy Friday everyone.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I always feel that way. It's why just over a year ago I had a single 1g betta tank, and today I have 5 tanks totaling 261 gallons.

Just recently, I just replaced 4 perfectly working Penguin Bio-Wheel 350's that were already overfiltering my 55g & 60g tanks, with Rena XP3's that overfilter them even more. I also replaced the XP3 that was already overfiltering my 90g tank, with an XP4. I've got a collection of equipment in near new condition that's now collecting dust in the garage, as it's already been replaced. I have a hard time with the idea of getting rid of it... just in case I need to set up a new tank in a pinch. It's also why I have a 29g & 40g long sitting on my back porch, waiting to be posted on Craigslist, but somehow never getting posted.

Right now, I'm fixated on improving the 60g tank in my bedroom. It's moderately planted, with injected Co2, T5HO lighting, and flourish/flourish excel liquid plant treatments. I'm just getting into other ferts now, scouring the web for ideas on exactly what mixture I want to try first. And it's not just the tank itself anymore. I just bought a nice palm to sit next to the tank in the corner, which I can water with highly beneficial gunky tank water when I vacuum the tank. Now I'm considering getting some plants which can live with their roots submerged in water and grow above the tank. Not only am I improving the habitat of my fish, I'm improving the habitat of the tank itself!

To me, that's one of the great things about the hobby. It has the potential to constantly evolve. Unfortunately, it's generally very expensive to keep up with all the possibilities, which is why one of my newest hobbies is figuring out the most economical way of doing things the best. Filter floss in my canisters, dry ferts, buying anything I can in bulk (except with food), and of course utilizing Craigslist to it's full potential.

As far as reaching goals is concerned, I get an incredible sense of satisfaction when I reach a goal, but it's never long before I think of another goal, another improvement that I can make, to benefit my fish, my plants, or the overall beauty of the setup itself. My guess is that on some random Wednesday in 2016, I'll sit back and look at my tanks, and decide they're all perfect, and finally live happily ever after... Hopefully.

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
I have had aquariums for almost 40 years now and I am NEVER satisfied! As soon as I reach one goal, I set another one. That's the fun in having aquariums. There is always something new and exciting to do.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Never enuf !!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I want a new tank but cant get one..... the wife wont let me get one so I feel as if I will never find the balance I want haha

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
my goal is to be as natural and realistic as can be. I make a budget with all my money because i dont have a credit card to spend millions with :)

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
To3kn33 , I feel your pain ! After 5 tanks the boss said "No mas !!"

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not understand. I love a husband that wants a tank. It keeps him home on weekends!!!!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^my old lady says the same thing lol. I recently got over my 5 tank mts and cut it down to 3: 100g, 80g, 40gbreeder :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store