My Duck weed is gone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have three tanks of Gourami and I put duck weed in there for breeding. It disappears with in a few days. Are the Gouramies eating it or is it dying?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I find Hornwort works very well for bubble nesting fish.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
small stalks of floating watersprites, rooted/rooting, worked very well for most bubblenesters. & they grow and spread so well without much efforts.!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Your duckweed is gone????

You poor thing. I can send ya some more ifn ya'd like. ;)

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I don't know why I can't keep it growing I have other plants that are doing well. I am just wondering why I have to keep replacing it. One fish store gave me a whole cup of it and it lasted a month and now I have very little left.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
DW is so prolific that most people curse having it. Usually very hard to get rid of and since yours disappears, the likely culprits are your fish.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
DW is so prolific that most people curse having it. Usually very hard to get rid of and since yours disappears, the likely culprits are your fish.
I had some in a betta tank (undergravel filter) and it disappeared to. The bettas would only try eating it once LOL, then left it alone. I was hoping to grow some for the pond, guess not. (Watersprite also dies off faster than it grows, don't know why..)

I can only guess, but I'd think it's possible that at least 3 things are happening to your duckweed:
1. they are eating some of it
2. some is dying
3. some gets in the filter, then dies
4. some might be getting in the nests

(no, I can't count lol)

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It grows like mad in my 10g. I just net out the excess and put it in my 50g for my Rainbows to munch on. It doesn't last a day in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store