Questions for all you carnivorous plant experts.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Pretty recently, my fishkeeping obsession has plateaued and with my impulsiveness and ADD, I have really gotten into plants, something my parents haven't restricted me from. I really have taken a liking to CP's. I'm just wondering what kinds would be good for a beginner like me. My local tap water is really soft and around 6.8 pH. I recently read through JB's CP thread, I'm impressed. So what do you guys think?

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Yeay! Another one joins us! Well it all depends on what type of CP you want. Venus Fly Trap, Sundews, Tropical Pitchers? For Tropical Pitcher you could either choose highland or lowland. A good starter pretty much in between the highs and lows is N. ventricosa. If you want to go with lowlander Id get N. rafflesiana They can actually can adapt to mid highland conditions. Mostly all cps do better in a terrarium due to being able to control the climate more.

As for tap water, you really need to know the TDS(total dissolved solids), anything under 100ppm is safe. Or you can just buy a gallon of distilled water.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I agree with Paul about the types. There are a couple main categories: pitchers and no pitchers. I'll assume you want tropicals (as to avoid dormancy), so I'll recommend a couple.

N. Ventricosa, N. Copelandii, N. Truncata, and most hybrids of these. These are all tropical pitchers (nepenthes) and are easy growers. IME, these don't need a terrarium. Just good light/substrate and lots of pure water.

Sundews: D. Adelae, D. Scorpiodes, Most of the sundews you'll find online will be very easy to care for. These two are just my favorites.

The biggest things to consider are temperature: some plants (mostly highland neps) need a temperature drop at night. I'm finding that a little difficult to provide regularly atm. Some plants are less tolerant to extremes than others. Light: 5000-6500k fluorescent lights... basically as many lumens as you can get for most plants. Water: needs to be as pure as possible TDS wise. Distilled water is 0 TDS. I've also heard the 100ppm guideline, but if you're on that side you want to water more often and drench the pots. It has to do with how the minerals in the water dry on the roots if it doesn't get soaked thoroughly. In terms of water as well, there are plants that like to sit in a tray of water, and others that need to be well drained.

Truth be told, it sounds intensive, but if you know a few basic details about the plant it's pretty easy to meet the requirements. Which way do you want to go?

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Yeay! Another one joins us! Well it all depends on what type of CP you want. Venus Fly Trap, Sundews, Tropical Pitchers? For Tropical Pitcher you could either choose highland or lowland. A good starter pretty much in between the highs and lows is N. ventricosa. If you want to go with lowlander Id get N. rafflesiana They can actually can adapt to mid highland conditions. Mostly all cps do better in a terrarium due to being able to control the climate more.

As for tap water, you really need to know the TDS(total dissolved solids), anything under 100ppm is safe. Or you can just buy a gallon of distilled water.
Hope it helps.
I agree with Paul about the types. There are a couple main categories: pitchers and no pitchers. I'll assume you want tropicals (as to avoid dormancy), so I'll recommend a couple.

N. Ventricosa, N. Copelandii, N. Truncata, and most hybrids of these. These are all tropical pitchers (nepenthes) and are easy growers. IME, these don't need a terrarium. Just good light/substrate and lots of pure water.

Sundews: D. Adelae, D. Scorpiodes, Most of the sundews you'll find online will be very easy to care for. These two are just my favorites.

The biggest things to consider are temperature: some plants (mostly highland neps) need a temperature drop at night. I'm finding that a little difficult to provide regularly atm. Some plants are less tolerant to extremes than others. Light: 5000-6500k fluorescent lights... basically as many lumens as you can get for most plants. Water: needs to be as pure as possible TDS wise. Distilled water is 0 TDS. I've also heard the 100ppm guideline, but if you're on that side you want to water more often and drench the pots. It has to do with how the minerals in the water dry on the roots if it doesn't get soaked thoroughly. In terms of water as well, there are plants that like to sit in a tray of water, and others that need to be well drained.

Truth be told, it sounds intensive, but if you know a few basic details about the plant it's pretty easy to meet the requirements. Which way do you want to go?
Thanks guys. I was planning on setting up a terrarium. I definitely want some pitchers (those Nepenthes look pretty cool), and I really like the sundews. I think I might set something up for venus flytraps too. I have a book coming here from the library soon called 'The Savage Garden', it looked like a good one. I'll keep you guys updated.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Nice, that's the book everyone recommends. But you might want to buy it, because I still find myself looking things up in it from time to time.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
"Growing Carnivorous Plants" by Barry Rice is another excellent book.

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
Nice, that's the book everyone recommends. But you might want to buy it, because I still find myself looking things up in it from time to time.
"Growing Carnivorous Plants" by Barry Rice is another excellent book.
I'll ask one of those for an Easter present :)

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
I think I have the one JB suggested too. They are both more than excellent.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Ps... duing the summer months, you can grow VFTs right along with any of the others. Just make sure to give them adequate dormancy during the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store