That Fish Place

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
The family and I made a road trip to That Fish Place in Lancaster PA yesterday to get some fish and plants for my kids tanks. As we were leaving, we were checking out their show tanks in the front of the store and in the South American themed one (it was at least a 180), they had a pair of red and blue striated (not sure of the strain) discus in there that were at least 7inches across - both guarding plaque of eggs as big as my hand. It was quite a sight!!

I've always been pleased with the quality of my purchases, dealing and interacting with the staff there and seeing discus parents guarding that plaque just confirmed for me the quality of the operation they've got going on down there.

CUDOS

ROY

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
Quality discus and ThatPetPlace don't belong in the same sentence.

Did you happened to see the wild discus in the fish room that had a major fungus problem in the eye? It's to the point of going blind. The other discus they were selling were in horrible condition. Even my 8 year old could tell that they loo bad.

I'll buy supplies from this store but refuse to buy any fish that they sell.

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
No offense, but we bought 20+ fish that day and all are alive and well! I did not see the particular discus you mention, but the large ones I saw (the wilds?) all looked to be in good health. They weren't dark, their fins weren't clamped, etc. Like I said previously, they must be doing something right if they have discus spawning in their show tanks.

Where do you get your fish? Please let me know - I'm always willing to support places that have quality livestock and good prices. We go to That Fish Place because I don't spend 4.99 there for a Black Phantom Tetra only to find it dead the following day.

ROY

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
There was a time when I thought that they were the best. Way back when their catalog was one color. Now sereral other companies offer lower prices and customer service.

DiscusOnly

AC Members
May 10, 2009
No offense, but we bought 20+ fish that day and all are alive and well! I did not see the particular discus you mention, but the large ones I saw (the wilds?) all looked to be in good health. They weren't dark, their fins weren't clamped, etc. Like I said previously, they must be doing something right if they have discus spawning in their show tanks.

Where do you get your fish? Please let me know - I'm always willing to support places that have quality livestock and good prices. We go to That Fish Place because I don't spend 4.99 there for a Black Phantom Tetra only to find it dead the following day.

ROY
Roy,

I buy my discus directly from Discus Hans or reputable online importer. For other fish, I get them from Msjinkzd or other hobbyist. I've been shopping at TPP since the mid 80s (back when they had decent fish). There are just so many other better options for me these days.

Here is a quick video of my recent wild discus addition from Discus Hans. They are only 3 days in this 75gal QT tank.

Click to watch

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
one word -- stunning! Wild type discus have always been my faves and will be the star attraction some day in the 125 I got brewing up in my head, and I will probably get them from Hans. Been to his website many times - he has just incredible fish.

I agree, back in the day at TFP, you could get a 4-5 inch wild brown or Blue discus on half price weekends and walk out of there with a half dozen for 60 bucks. Oh the good ole days.

ROY

Jakeowen

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2011
I took the ride out there a few months ago, and was very happy with the dwarf pikes that I picked up.
I will admit I just was not blown away by the selection like I used to be.
I wish they kept their stocklist on the website up to date, but otherwise, I still like the place.

Jakeowen

Registered Member
Jan 17, 2011
I took the ride out there a few months ago, and was very happy with the dwarf pikes that I picked up.
I will admit I just was not blown away by the selection like I used to be.
I wish they kept their stocklist on the website up to date, but otherwise, I still like the place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store