New to Cichlids, what will work for my setup.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
I know this has already been talked about before, but I couldnt find a real definite answer for my question.

My setup consists of a 90 gallon aquarium, 40 breeder for a sump, 1300 GPH Closed loop system for added water flow behind rocks.

I have never had cichlids. I want to give them a try as they are very active,popular and colorful... I am getting mixed info from the stores, online, etc.

Basically I want a tank full of color, and activity. I dont want them to get very large.

What I need to know.

Type of cichlid to start with with.
What other species will get along with what. (my options)
Any bottom feeders that will survive or are a good addition?

I hear the Mbuna Species is what to start with. I was thinking some yellow labs, Cobalt Blue??

Any help would be great. There are so many Cichlids to choose form I dont where to start.

Here is my current setup. Tank

Filtration.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think yellow labs are a great mbuna to start with. If you want to keep plants, you might be able to get away with yellow labs. If you definitely want plants you might want to get Labidochromis chisumulae instead. They are a relative of yellow labs, so don't keep both in the same tank(prevent hybrids). Cynotilapia afra is another small species that is a carnivorous mbuna.

If you go without plants and want to go the mbuna route: Rusties(Iodotropheus sprengerae) and one Labeotropheus species (trewavasae or fuelleborni) are good options.

Definitely stay away from "mixed african cichlids". They often are very mean sprecies(Melanochromis aratuas, bumblee bees and Kenyii). Not that these aren't pretty fish, but they probably are not the best ones to start with.

I would go with them some Haps or some peacocks. Haps and peacocks take a little patience because they don't start off colorful. Although they get big, I think Nimbochromis liviningstoni is a good one to start with. It has an attractive juvenile/female pattern and it is readily available.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Cynotilapia afras are not carnivorous. They need mostly vegetable matter like any mbuna. Most mbuna out there will destroy plants and the tankmates you currently have. They are very aggressive and if not stocked correctly they will start killing each other.

Since you have such a nice tank set up already I would skip the mbuna and get some sort of dwarf cichlid. They are more peaceful and will live with your current fish and leave your plants alone. Some species to consider:
Ram cichlids

Apistos

rainbow cichlid

kribs

There are many varieties to these species these are justs some of the most commonly found. With a tank your size I imagine you could get a couple pairs of dwarf cichlds.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Currently the only plants that I have in the tank are Anubias Nana. I heave heard mixed reviews on keeping plants with cichlids. The tank wont be heavily planted, just something to give it some life and color. The current stock is 5 giant danios, 4 black skirt tetras that are of decent size, 1 pleco (about 9 inches) and a few cory cats.

I have no issue removing the current fish, if I can get some cichlids that will get along with my current stock thats even better.

Thanks for the info. I was just told to go with mixed african cichlids. They had nice color. Half the time the people at the pet stroes have no idea what they are talking about.

If I were to go with the dwarf cichlids, once they are full gorwn what would be a goods stock quantity? I have been told I could have 30 or so in my tank. That just seemed a little overstocked to me. Maybe keeping cichlids is differnt?

One last question...
As far as PH goes, I know they like it higher in the 8.0 - 8.5 range. It seems the rams are harder to keep according to web info and require very good water conditions, and a PH of 5.0 to 7.0.

Obviously if I had to raise my PH, I would use some aragonite and place it in my sump. I dont want to have to constantly use PH decrease to keep it at the required level for rams?

Am I on point? or am I reading into this to much?

BelXavier420

Registered Member
Feb 28, 2011
IMO you are reading into it too much. Consistency is the key for ph, you should never add chemicals to change the ph as that will only cause temporary change. I think your tank would look better with the dwarf cichlids, add a nice piece of drift wood and you are set. Minus the rainbow cichlid I think the others mentioned should even be ok with your current set-up. I would be careful of kribensis and cory cats though as they both like the bottom and may compete for space. (Of course I am a SA fan so take this advice as it is, partial).

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
i would go with Bolivian rams like mine. there really cute little active fish.
IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
Ok great advice...

Any reputable places to get the above mentioned fish? Live aquaria has them, but shipping would be rough and they dont have all the species. My local petstores honestly wont even know what fish Im talking about. The one guy didnt even know what the Mbuna specias was.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
How about some of these? Males max out about 6", females 4", and they play well with others. Even a breeding pair isn't any threat to other species as long as they're too big to eat. I have over 100 grown out and ready to pair off now.

Here's a recent pic of some of the juvies in my 90:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Australoheros oblongum, aka dwarf chanchito from Uruguay originally. They will eventually grow large enough to eat your neons, but aren't aggressive toward other species at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store